MSNBC "Doctor Shortage" article with no mention of PAs

Not a PA, but a college student considering what to pursue and where to go, and am also a strong believer in the PA profession.  

Anyway, came across this article while viewing MSNBC's site.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/doctor-gap-next-hurdle-health-care

One of the headline articles and no mention of PAs other than:

Today, roughly 15% of all primary care is delivered in “medical homes,” where doctors work as team leaders and non-MDs (nurses, nurse practitioners, and others) deal with patients’ basic needs. 

In fact, it's a giant editorial mouthpiece for the ANA and AANP.

Thoughts?  Hasn't this lack of PA coverage happened with MSNBC before?  I've seen a few of their articles that take on the same "NPs can do it all, give them full independence!" slant.  Maybe I'm just an unadulterated pessimist, but maybe there's some monetary shuffling under the table...?

I still think this is an utter disservice to the OTHER half of advanced practice clinicians out there - you guys - because it keeps people completely in the dark, which is, in theory, what a major news organization like MSNBC should be attempting to counteract.

This would be a great opportunity for several of us (and maybe PAFT, officially) to "get the word out" to an influential writer.  I've previously emailed journalists/bloggers regarding PA misconceptions, etc., and they can be quite responsive to the information we share.  Certainly worth an email.

Archived