Shadowing Opportunity Advice

I highly recommend contacting the divison of AAPA in your home state. I e-mailed the administrator giving a short background about myself and received a response within one week. She said that my request will be sent to PAs who have volunteered to be shadowed and that they will contact me via e-mail. She was very helpful, letting me know what to expect and stating that if I do not hear from anyone by the new year we can try again.

I was successful in getting a shadowing experience through my state chapter as well. I got one PA who let me shadow with the possibility of shadowing more in the future and one PA who was not allowed a shadow at his practice but was willing to answer a lot of questions and give me advice. When I e-mailed the administrator at the state chapter to thank her, she gave me the contact for a medical director who screens for another shadowing opportunity. I did mention to her that I had HIPAA certification and a current certificate for OSHA bloodborne pathogens.

Archived