Jump to content

DEA license...do I need a new one for a new job?

Recommended Posts

I do have a DEA license, but on the license it has the address of my former employer. I am looking into a new job right now that asks for my DEA license and I was wondering if I need to get a new one or if I can simply send them a copy of the one I have (even though it has an old employers address on it). It says "this certificate is not transferable on change of ownership, control. location, or business activity, and it is not valid after the expiration date"...does this mean I need a new one for a new job?? Also, the document I have says it is a "controlled substance registration certificate"...is that what a DEA license is supposed to say? Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can only speak for our state and our situation.  I think you can get by with the same DEA  (see note below) however, as I mentioned in another post, the insurance companies will not credential you unless you have a DEA license with an assignment to your new job.  So, you have to pay about $800 for each address.  It is crazy but that is the way it is and insurance companies make rules that are more restrictive than the federal or state laws simply because they can.


From the DEA website:

Please be aware that practitioners who wish to administer, dispense, or prescribe controlled substances in multiple states have the following options regarding a DEA registration:

  1. Practitioners will need to obtain a separate DEA registration in each state where they plan to administer, dispense, or prescribe controlled substances.
  2. If the practitioners will be working solely in a hospital/clinic setting, they may use the hospital’s DEA registration instead of registering independently with DEA if the hospital agrees and the situation warrants. 21 C.F.R. § 1301.22©.
  3. Alternately, under 21 C.F.R. § 1301.51, practitioners may transfer their existing DEA registration from one state to another as needed by contacting DEA’s Registration and Program Support Section at 1-800-882-9539 or request the change online at www.DEAdiversion.usdoj.gov. DEA will investigate each modification of registration as if it was a new application. DEA will issue a new DEA certificate with the appropriate changes if DEA approves the modification.
  4. DEA has provided a limited exception to this requirement in that practitioners who register at one location in a state, but practice at other locations within the same state, are not required to register with DEA at any other location in that state at which they only prescribe controlled substances. 21 CFR § 1301.12(b)(3).
Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More