Question Regarding HCE and cGPA

Hello!

I am graduating with a degree in Psychology but the healthcare field had always intrigued me, and I believe I have what it takes to succeed in the field.

Currently I have one Psychology degree and am pursuing another in Therapeutic Recreation, which I should have completed by the middle of next year. My question is, would experience as a Recreational Therapist be classified as valid HCE if I were to apply to PA schools?

Also, I am sitting with a 2.95 GPA and still taking undergrad courses. I hope to, in a year and a half to two, have it up to a 3.3. But would admissions consider this cUGPA? I don't want them counting me out because I had a 2.79 at graduation and discount all the work I've done since then.

As far as extracurriculars, I shadowed a doc in Kenya for 3.5 months dealing with severely disabled children from a refugee camp and have several leadership positions and great LOR's from docs to professors..

It is a long road.. Do you guys think I have a shot? I'm 24 btw

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk now Free

• 2 weeks later...

CASPA takes all of your classes (undergrad and postgrad) and calculates your cGPA....I think it would be beneficial to try and get your GPA up, but I know some schools pay more attention to your most recent courses and how well you did in them...so if you show improvement, that is a good thing...

I don't know about the patient care experience....there is another thread on here called "ask PA admissions"...I would post your questions on there....also you could always email the schools you are applying to and ask if your experience is what they are looking for....I am an athletic trainer, and I had to email a couple of schools to see if athletic training experience counted as patient care hours....some schools take it, some don't....

good luck!

Archived