MSW to PA-C

I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm at RT... the other kind.. Rec Therapist and I hold social work qualifications as well. When I was first looking to see if there were any RT's that went to PA school, I found one person with a therapeutic recreation degree on here that did but I haven't tried searching for social work. I know here in Canada that when we first opened our couple PA schools one of them said that there were a couple social workers entering the class. It probably depends on the school. The school in the states that I want to apply to says to have a look at the AMA Health Care Careers directory to see if your career is on there. Counselling and psychology is on it. If you are a medical or mental health social worker or anything along those lines I don't see it being a problem as long as you have the prereqs. To me, and others may disagree, but I think having a masters qualifications in a health related job and subsequent experience looks better than a 6 month CNA program and 500 hours or experience. Not that there is anything wrong with that so please no one attack me :)!

I earned an MSW and MPH in 2004 and am applying now to PA programs. I know of one person who was a BMT social worker who became a PA-C and of another who did something after getting her MSW in 2005 and is finishing her PA program now. And one of the transplant surgery PAs is a former psychologist (PsyD). I don't know their motivations but they successfully transitioned.

I knew that I didn't really want to be a social worker, I wanted to do something in medicine but couldn't figure out what so I just took the easy way and finished the MSW and thought the combination would get me close to medicine but it really hasn't been enough. Originally I thought about NP but to do a second bachelors did not sound good and the DNP thing sealed that. Then I learned more about PA and am totally sold: the career flexbility (including to practice in psychiatry!), learning the harder sciences, really getting medical training. That's what I want. If I don't get in, I can get into a BSN/DNP program but I'd much rather do PA. What about you?

Wow....Michigander...you took the words right out of my mouth lol..Same here as I got further into the MSW program and doing my internships, I realized that social work is not my calling. I always wanted to practice medicine but knew I couldn't do medical school because of time and finances. So i talked to a PA while doing my field placement and she told me she loved it. So I researched the profession myself for months and fell in love with PA. I graduate from my MSW program this may 2011 and I still plan on taking my boards in april so it can look better when I am applying to PA in 2012 and on top of that I still need to work. When areyou applying? and what schools are you applying to? do you work as a social worker now?

I'm applying to programs this year. I went to the University of Michigan for my degrees and I've been working as a palliative medicine social worker for about 5.5 years. I never thought I could do these prereqs when I was in high school and college, those hemiacetals and cis-trans molecules were so hard for me but I somehow got through them. What state do you live in? I'm obviously in Michigan where the full social work license requires 2 years supervised experience and the ASWB exam. Where are you going to school and what concentration? I did Interpersonal Practice and Health.

I felt the same way when I was in undergrad at salisbury university. I thought i wouldnt be able to do those science classes thats why i didnt major in science subjects. But now my outlook is completely different. I am maryland, but I am at howard university getting my MSW. we also have to wait 2 yrs with supervision to get the LICSW. But im taking the LGSW in april when i graduate. My concentrartion is in mental health. Howard unfortunetely does not have a variety of concentrations e.i (mental health, health, displaced population, child welfare, gerentology) thats it. But For PA im applying to Howard,anne arundel community college and townson CCBC. What is your cum gpa?

I am not a MSW but a LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor), ka42518, we seem to be in similar boats applying to a few of the same schools. Are you currently taking any pre-requisites?

I've always known that I would change paths but wasn't sure when I would do so. Once I became licensed then I figured now would be a good time to make the transition. My reasons for wanting to pursue the PA field are a mix of personal and professional events that fueled my way down this path. I regret not taking my pre-requisites over the last year but hey now is a better time than any. Currently taking Chemistry I and Anatomy and Physiology will start at the end of this month.

Hi AvaMax, I will be taking my pre-reqs this summer at prince georges community college.I will be taking anatomy I and II. Then in the fall 2011 I will take chem I and medical term, and in the spring I will take micro and organic chem (not sure if I will take organ chem yet). Same here I figured while I start working as a social worker (this summer) I will justtake my pre reqs. I am soo ready for the change. I dont regret going through my MSW program because I've learned a lot about working with diverse families and learning how to diagnose psychiatric disorders in children and adults. But i am ready to persue my first interest which is medicine in all specialties.

Are you also living in MD? where and when are you applying to PA school?

How is chem I treating you, is it hard?

What classes other then chem I and A&P are you taking?

sorry for all the questions in advance lol...

I am applying to at least 15-20 schools from DC, MD, PA, NJ and NY. Too long to list here LOL Chem is decent so far, taking it online so needed to put in a bit of legwork to get the online stuff setup with the school ie proctors, ordering books and supplies and logging into the system. Just taking those two courses for now. Are you taking any courses online? Let me know how you like PGCC

If they offer A&P online then I will take it. But for sure I am taking medical term online. Wow I am only applying to 4 maybe 5 I just got married and we are pretty settled where we are at so I can't move that far. The farthest I am willing to go is VA. How is the online classes working with you work schedule? What is your cum GPA like from undergrad and grad school? Mine is a 3.5 grad school and a 2.9 undergrad.

I hear ya. I told hubby I would need to be away for at least a year and hopefully get into a program that would let me do rotations back home. If not then we would just be apart during that year as well or he would get a job in NY if I got into a school there.

The online classes work fine as I get to work at my own pace with the exception of quizzes and tests.

Undergrad was 3.3

Grad was 3.5

Ok. Where do you live now?

Another reason why I don't want to move far is because we plan on having our first child soon like this year. By the time i start the program our kid will be 2. Do you have any kids? do you plan on having any soon?

I am going to find an online class for A&P this summer.

If I have to relocate my husband says he wouldn't mind.

I was thinking that too but I want one now lol....in plus my mother in law and my sisters are around so I wont need daycare for now. In plus my husband really wants one we have always talked about having kids around this time and then I had a change in career path (PA school) so I kind of changed the plans, so I told him lets have one before I start school instead of when I finish.

Your applying in 2012 right?

What is you top school that you want to attend?

Archived