Optometry school dropout wants to be PA

Hi guys, this is a VERY rough draft... but Ive been stuck on it for a long time now and really could use some direction! I dropped out of optometry school a couple years ago bc I didn't like it at all. (wanted to work on more than just the eye).... all thoughts/criticisms welcome! Thank you :)

Sometimes the days, weeks, even months after dropping out of a graduate program can feel like the aftermath of a terrible storm. Life becomes a question mark, your sense of harmony disrupted, full of possibilities once again but clouded over by a low point. Thinking back three years ago, this was exactly my take on life post dropping out of optometry school. I had succumbed to staying in a program of optometry for over two years for fear of failing myself. I consistently evaded an enormous decision that would not only affect myself, perceivably in a negative light, but also my family. Ultimately, I made the most difficult decision I’ve had to make thus far - I removed myself from the program (in good academic standing and in the top fifty percent of my class). Reasons being I was unhappy with the content of the curriculum, and my foreseeable future in the optometry field. I desire a career in healthcare that is more versatile, involved in all of the body and not just the eye, and one that for me would ultimately offer more personal satisfaction.

My trust in my own values and choices was shaken, and I asserted to myself I would find where my passion lies and devote to achieving it. The past three years have been spent in a plethora of healthcare experiences, which have been invaluable to me. There has been no aha moment, but a narrowing down of direction into the physician assistant role.

Immediately after my withdrawal, still very much interested in healthcare, I joined a neurologist’s office, primarily administrative work, based in southern suburbs of Chicago. Given my academic/clinical background, I was able to undertake administrative duties, but also quickly took on a medical role assisting the neurologist. I realized my own strengths as I dealt with patients of diverse backgrounds and disorders. For nearly three years now, I have approached each day with a happiness and enthusiasm that had eluded me in the past.

Through Dr. P, a cardiologist whose practice I have been shadowing, I gained a great mentor. He taught his patients in friendly, clear efficient manner. His patients felt involved and in control and the team atmosphere he creates with his medical staff is supportive. In fact, through my conversations and the various members of the medical community I have met through him, I found the role of a pa.

I have shadowed various PA’s, from neurosurgery to cardiology to emergency medicine. In their work, I observed the balance between perfect medium of direct patient care and practical procedural work that I’d been seeking. For instance, Mr. M, a neurosurgery PA, counsels patients on post-operative care, but is a second pair of hands during surgery. Or Mr. W, whose duties can range from suturing wounds to putting in breathing tubes or central IVs. I learned that the roles of the Physician Assistant are not limited to universal tasks, but are specialized depending on the setting, can work in any specialty or location. The versatility and flexibility of PA’s duties from is one that not only appeals to me, but I would take great pride in.

The common theme of trust and teamwork between each pa and the physician whose supervision they work under also is appealing. Ms. G, cardiac PA, makes sure all patients are at ease, conducts stress tests, but assists cardiologist with pacemaker insertion, all the while she further enhances her knowledge by attending lectures within her cardiology group. She continually increases their trust in her with her hard work and merit. The synergetic relationships observed between patient, physician, and physician assistant, and other members of the team was inspiring.

Pursuing a broad field of knowledge and experience, such as in physician assistant studies, carries special appeal for me. My journey over the past three years has been enlightening, my sense of harmony renewed, and my passion clearly defined. My healthcare experiences, whether working in a neurologists office, shadowing various PA’s, or most recently volunteering in the pediatric ICU, have been invaluable. At this point in my life, I believe I am truly ready to pursue a career as a pa. I have gained great clarity in the scope and mission of a pa over the past two years now, as well as a great sense of self. It has been an enriching experience. I truly believe I will be a worthwhile and devoted physician assistant to the communities I will help. I look forward to the start of this new journey and welcome all the expectations and challenges that soon face me.

Archived