2nd career, applying with limited science classes

Hello. I am currently in the process of applying to PA schools this cycle and need some advice. First, PA is technically my second career. I got my masters in Public Administration and worked as a policy analyst for 2 years before deciding to back to school for PA. I have around 2300 patient care hours as a tech and currently have an internship in CV surgery working with 2 PAs that do vein harvests. While I may meet the "minimum" qualifications for many of the schools, I will still have several outstanding pre-reqs when I apply at the end of the summer. Biochem and Micro are done but I need General Chem 2, AP 2 and Bio 2 for a lot of the schools I am applying to. Overall I only have 21 completed hours of biology chemistry and health related sciences. I will have 12 credits in progress when I apply.

Due to the fact that I want to start school in fall 2014, I need to apply this cycle. Any idea of things I can do/include in my personal statement that may make me look more attractive to schools despite not having a ton of science classes? I am thinking about just applying widely (12-15 schools) to increase my chances. We have the flexibility to move wherever.

My overall GPA is about 3.4 and science GPA is about 3.2 (lots of B's and not that many classes taken).

Thanks for the help!

I'm in a similar boat, but with even less HCE. Just apply, let the schools sort it out. Some admissions departments tend to boot anyone who's not prereq-complete (despite what their websites advertise), others will give you a chance anyway. You should already be listing your planned coursework anyway, so adcoms can see your planned academic pathway.

To be honest, I think its getting late for you to just now start thinking about applying for fall 2014 matriculation. Have you taken the GRE, thought about a personal statement, or asked for letters of recommendation? You certainly don't want to throw together a sloppy personal statement or give your references too little time. Also remember that it takes some time for CASPA to verify your application once everything is submitted. If you're aiming for schools with later submission dates, you might be ok.

Additionally, you need to do more research about different programs you might be interested in attending. Every school has different prerequisites, as well as different policies as to whether or not classes can be outstanding. If a school specifically states that their requirements must be completed by time of application, it is only wasting your money to apply. Programs won't look at your application if they consider it to be incomplete.

When you say you have patient care hours as a tech, what kind of tech do you mean? Some schools are particular about the type of experience used as patient care experience, so make sure programs you apply to will accept those hours.

When in doubt about any of the requirements, email schools and ask. It saved me from applying to schools that wouldn't consider my application. You can certainly cast a wide net when applying to schools, but you would be much better off applying strategically.

GRE is done, letters of rec have been done and verified, transcripts are in, and personal statement/many supplemental apps are completed. I am waiting because my micro class ends friday, and I'd like for the schools to see it done. I have emailed and called many programs and have gotten some really good info. Been able to cut down the list based on ones that have said "probably not" and ones that have said "shouldn't be a problem."

Also, @Nj10I was a patient care tech. Paid, full time, one year.

For those of you that go into school/are considering applying with a few outstanding classes, how many BCP classes do you have completed? Maybe some schools will favor the non-science background. Who knows.

I will be applying with outstanding pre-reqs- still need orgo, micro, and stats. I'll be doing the first two in the fall for sure, possibly stats too although math is my Achilles heel so I may just wait til spring so I can focus on it by itself. The programs I'm applying to made it pretty clear that they don't really care about outstanding prereqs as long as you can get them done before matriculation. Plus, I figure that if I'm invited to interview I can update them with the grades then as the interviews will happen early in 2014. That said, I am a nontraditional applicant with a non-science background so I am glad to have a solid GPA in the bio and chem classes I've already taken to show that I can handle the science aspect.

Just go for it; I wouldn't waste your time/money on the "probably not" programs, though.

Archived