Direct Patient Care Hours

Hey! I am in the process of finalizing my app for USC. My GPA is around a 3.7 with pre-req GPA around 3.6. GRE is V: 164 Q: 150 (eh). I have been working as a clinical research assistant in neurology for the last 2 years and accumulated about 1000 hours of direct patient care (I set up EEGs and do neuropsych testing with all our subjects). I am really nervous about not having enough hours to be competitive applicant. Am I wasting my time applying?

I really appreciate feedback!

Hi there! First of all, congrats on finalizing your application for USC! From what you've presented here, you sound like you would be a competitive applicant just about anywhere, at least in my humble opinion. I'm a 3rd-year at USC right now, so you must take my opinion with a grain of salt as I have no influence in the first or final part of the admissions process. If I were to provide any advice to you (and to anyone else reading this thread who is currently applying), make sure that you're honest in your personal statement and share your reasoning for wanting to become a PA. Additionally, be sure to have a fair amount of PA shadowing hours and general volunteer experience. USC really likes to see well-rounded applicants who are committed to serving the community. The last thing I think I'll mention to anyone reading this thread is the following: no matter what school you are applying to, have confidence in yourself. If you are questioning whether or not you're competitive, talk to the program directly and ask their opinion. While they cannot provide you a direct answer, they can give you pointers on how to become more competitive.

Good luck!

Archived