Brands of Otoscope/Ophthalmoscope Sets

It seems that these diagnostic sets are not used much outside of the first year, so seems like a waste to invest a whole lot. A rep came by my school and the cheapest set offered was $315 for the portable pocket diagnostic set. :(

I read the sticky thread on what was recommended but does anybody know if Riester or American Diagnostic Corporation has a better quality set? Or if anybody could recommend another manufacturer that has a price around $100-$150 with decent quality that would be great. On Amazon the Riester set is $139 and $149 for ADC.

Thanks

ps: Does anybody have the HTC Vox S710 or HTC Hermes (AT&T 8525) and do you like it?

Iain I agree if you can get away with it don't buy it. At my school however, for every performance exam a few of the professor make you lay out ALL your equipment even if you are not using that piece for the exam in question. So all of us HAD to buy a diagnostic set. Also when we go on our site visits, we have to have them to perform the exam.

So if you can get along without buying one do it, if you have to buy inexpensive!

Hopeful,

That's too bad they made you buy stuff like that... diagnostic sets are so expensive for the little use they will actually get...

I know it's been said on the forum before but repetition is good: go cheap on the diagnostic set and get a really good stethoscope. You will never be disappointed!

Evan

...At my school however, for every performance exam a few of the professor make you lay out ALL your equipment even if you are not using that piece for the exam in question. So all of us HAD to buy a diagnostic set....
Wow, that's just downright fascist. Makes me wonder if the school is getting some kind of kickback from that powerful and shady Otoscope lobby...

If you are required to buy a set, see if your program will allow you to share a set with a classmate... split the costs if you can.

If you do share with a classmate, pick someone who has kids. They may find they want to keep it. I have used mine multiple times to check family and friends (not treat, just peek and advise). It's prehistoric, can't be used unless charged first... but I won't part with it.

It's too bad that some programs make you buy a diagnostic kit and then don't provide you with opportunities to get good use from them. We went to health fairs and did school physicals where we got practice using them (among other skills). First years now are going to nursing homes to practice PE skills... if you have to buy it, at least use it.

If all else fails, check ebay. My set may be old but it was cheap and met/meets my needs.

Wow, that's just downright fascist. Makes me wonder if the school is getting some kind of kickback from that powerful and shady Otoscope lobby...

I don't think so. We go into hospitals several time a semester to do our site visists and PE exam. They don't want us using the hospital's equipment. Why who knows? Several bought theirs on ebay cheap. Also try craig's lists. should be able to pick one up cheaply.

I'm sure this is my own cluelessness talking, but why on EARTH would they not want you using the hospital's equipment? I would think that as a professional in training, there's more benefit to teaching people how to use whatever they have available.

What if you become adept at using, say, a portable Brand A but you've never used a wall-mounted Brand B in your life... and then your first job has nothing but wall-mounted Brand B's?

I'm sure this is my own cluelessness talking, but why on EARTH would they not want you using the hospital's equipment? I would think that as a professional in training, there's more benefit to teaching people how to use whatever they have available.

What if you become adept at using, say, a portable Brand A but you've never used a wall-mounted Brand B in your life... and then your first job has nothing but wall-mounted Brand B's?

No clue! Sometimes you just have to jump through the hoops! Thankfully I didn't have to pay for my set!

If you can use one brand, you can use any. The same basic components are present on all equipment - the only variation will be in the configuration and the "bells & whistles".

Hospitals can be finnicky (dare I say irrational?) at times in policy making. It's a total speculation, but I wonder if the hospital admin didn't want students using their equipment?? I'm happy to hear your program has such an arrangement, though. Looking at classmates and family get old... good to work with strangers, getting a bit more comfortable before clinicals. :)

• 3 years later...

Also realize the thread is long dead, but I know the topic comes up repeatedly and I have a new experience to share: I couldn't believe when I got to my Peds rotation that they didn't have wall mounts. The doc and I each carried an otoscope in our pockets all day, and I used it so much it needed recharging every 3 days. Also rotated in a county ER which broken wall mounts and 2 portables that were usually MIA. The PAs there kept their personal sets on hand. Anyway, so don't assume you won't need one - Every school is different, but maybe ask the class above you what they found out in clinicals.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived