cardiothoracic surgery

I am starting a new job in aug in cardiothoracic surgery. I have 6 years experience as a PA, primarily in surgical specialties. they are fine with me not having CT surg experience; they are going to train me thoroughly and are glad that I have years of general surg experience.

I will be trained to cover all 3 inpatient elements: floor, ICU, and OR, with the emphasis on ICU and OR.

I am happy with what they are offering in compensation, benefits, etc. I will be expected once trained to cover 48 hrs/week - 4-12s, one of them being an overnight - so I might do 1-24 and 2-12s. I would even consider doing 2-8 day runs/month to get the same # of hours in with bigger chunks of breaks if they are open to this.

anyone out there (WITH CT or other inpatient surg experience, PLEASE) have any advice, pointers, things to look out for?

(with all due respect, please DON'T post advice if you do not have first-hand experience with the kind of questions I'm asking here) :)

thanks!

I would only comment that surgery is well.....surgery.

I spent 6 years of my career in surgery. Friends, colleagues often ask me if I miss it.

My response is always the same. I loved surgery, LOVED it, and if I could ever reconcile that with my absolute and total dislike (true disdain) of almost every surgeon I have ever met, I would go back to surgery in a heartbeat (I called one the "most egotistical ******* in the entire county, possibly the state" to his face once- never did asked to scrub with him again). For now.....all I can say is good luck.

Archived