Advice Please - Derm PA Employment Offers (FT/PT)

Good afternoon everyone,

I have been offered a part-time Derm PA position in Palm Beach (my hometown), Florida. I am wondering what I should expect to see in a proposal for a part-time PA position. Is it typical to also be offered benefits (medical, CME's, malpractice insurance, etc.) being a part-time PA?

I also have one other fulltime Derm PA offer west of Orlando, FL (relocation would be necessary-rent averages $600/month) working 10-12 hour days with a salary of $76K for first 6 months(the previous PA-C verified I would be working these 10-12 hours for the first 6-12 months due to paperwork, etc.). Then salary raise to $82K after the 6 month review. They also offered:

CME: $1K

Holiday: 6 days

Sick: 1 day

Malpractice: $1200, plus listed as additional physician's policy.

Bonus plan: To be negotiated after 1 year.

Vacation: 2 weeks

I will be speaking to the physician offering me the PT position this week to get the details of the proposal. Will post more details of PT position when I get them. Any advice/thoughts are appreciated!! Thanks!!

I would accept this job if....I really wanted to be a DermPA b/c it is nearly impossible for PAs to get into this field. My dermatologist told me the word was that PAs are nearly impossible to teach derm to. Therefore the only PAs that are in derm are what I call recycled PAs. Dermatologist will hire PAs that are already trained in derm and pretty much don't look for new grads or untrained PAs. It is also easier to get a IM and FP job after having derm training b/c of being able to do office procedures. Removing cyst, skin ca....so if it was me I would grab this job and look for a much better derm job down the road, but at least this offers training that is nearly impossible to get. However if you are already trained in derm and or working as a derm PA this offer is insulting.

also consider doing a derm residency if really into derm:

Association of Postgraduate PA Programs > Home

I know of a local derm practice with a pa who works 4.5 days/week and makes 187k after being there 5 yrs. he gets a piece of every procedure he does and a base salary and full benefits. he works 8 hr days but sees 5-6 pts/hr.

I wouldn't want his job but if you are into derm it can be lucrative.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to a derm series hosted by a local dermatologist here in Las Vegas outside of school. He was teaching like crazy, but unfortunately the PA students were only given a big red crayon and one piece of paper to take notes on...

I wonder why this Dr thinks it's so hard to train PA's in derm? Any thoughts EMED?

It seems like more of a "know somebody" field. My little sis is an NP, with hardly any training in derm in NP school, she did a rotation with a practice and they offered her a job when she graduated. They trained her for 3 months and then she was on her own. Of course she still had a lot of questions, but those quickly diminished.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, what is the part time thing looking like?

Archived