Could use some help...

So today I found out I failed the PANCE for the second time. I'm feeling so defeated. I am not sure at this point if I am going to take it again, but I do know I need to find a job until then. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what kind of jobs to look for. After I failed the first time, I did apply to a bunch of jobs like "patient representative" or "clinical tech" just to keep up with patient care. I never got an interview for any of the jobs I've applied for, wondered if it was because my resume shows me as overqualified for these positions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys 

I'm sorry you didn't pass for the 2nd time but don't give up. Really take time to see what you did wrong the first 2 times and how you can improve on that. Passing the exam takes more than just studying and all factors come into play. Something as simple as scheduling the time of the day to take it may impact your score. If there's any anxiety issues, try to deal with that naturally or medically. Also, if you qualify for special accomodations based on the NCCPA criteria, use that option. You can even change the testing location if that is available. I also failed the first time, but used all the tools available to me to pass the 2nd time. I choose a different location, scheduled at a date and time when I'm usually more relaxed, applied for a separate room accomodation (this was super helpful), exercised and of course studied the material and worked on my weakest areas. The problem with taking a job is that sometimes it takes time away from studying, but something part-time, non stressful is manageable. I took a part-time job as a Pharmacy Technician after I failed the PANCe. This was helpful as I was able to see medications, occasionally talk to patients about them and even look up information on them. Goodluck!

Sorry to hear you fail a second time but don't give up. You can do it. Maybe you need to change your tactics and materials. Work on your weakness, specially the big 6. 

May I  ask? How did you did in your PACKRAT? What question banks did you use? what did you do differently from the first time before taking the test a second time. 

As for employment, I would apply for anything that would give me some time to practice, like a part time job.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. My PACKRAT score in school was not great, I was not surprised that I did not pass the first time. This second time around I spent a lot of time focusing on practice tests/questions because I did not really do that before. I used Kaplan QBank, a Kaplan test prep book with 2 full practice tests, a trial of ExamMaster 300 total questions, the 2 NCCPA practice tests, and then practice PACKRATS. I feel like by the end of it I was scoring in a decent range. My Kaplan tests I would do I was scoring high 60s low 70s. I also have the PANCE PEARLS book and the booklet from the Certified Medical Educators Review Course. 

I did much better across the board, but obviously still came up short. 

Thanks for the replies. My PACKRAT score in school was not great, I was not surprised that I did not pass the first time. This second time around I spent a lot of time focusing on practice tests/questions because I did not really do that before. I used Kaplan QBank, a Kaplan test prep book with 2 full practice tests, a trial of ExamMaster 300 total questions, the 2 NCCPA practice tests, and then practice PACKRATS. I feel like by the end of it I was scoring in a decent range. My Kaplan tests I would do I was scoring high 60s low 70s. I also have the PANCE PEARLS book and the booklet from the Certified Medical Educators Review Course.

I did much better across the board, but obviously still came up short.

I would suggest you to do at least 3k questions before you take the test. PrepU PANCE and PANRE costs like $70 from Amazon and Davis PA book costs like $40. No need to break the bank to pass the PANCE. When you are doing questions, review both right and wrong answers. Pance prep pearl is not enough as material for review. It lacks a lot of info. Don't use it for OBGYN.

It seems you get a good handle on things, you just need to better prepare next time.

Full disclosure: I have not taking the PANCE yet but will do in about a month and have been preparing for about 6 months. I still feel like I'm not ready. So take your time to prepare. I don't think you have done enough the last time around.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hi OHpa,

Hang in there and do not despair.

You have a lot of company, and now having tutored PA students and grads for 5 years I've heard your story many many times.

A recipe for a high score Includes;

-Certainly keeping involved in clinical medicine in some way is important and I give that same advice to my students.

-Try and focus directly on the NCCPA Blueprint topics.

-Keep up with the Task section, as new grads tend to score high here, and even if you score quite well on clinical sections, even an 'average' score of 70 on the tasks section will hurt given the scoring model they use.

Agree with the above about doing lots of practice questions. Do them in a test-taking format, i.e. timed, no resources open, quiet area, etc. That way you can practice your pacing. Read over every questions explanation, even the ones you got right. It's not really an approach of what was the right answer when you're studying but rather 'why are the other answers wrong'.

Once piece of advice a practicing PA friend told me before I took my PANCE was "every piece of information is put in the question for a reason, and things that were omitted from the question aren't there for a reason". What that means is decipher why the question writer mentioned something that seemed otherwise unimportant, as this can often lead you down the right path.

I found Davis to be a lot of help. As a PA student, you often study each disease and medication individually whereas you're often asked to compare one disease to another or choose between two medications during the board exam. Davis did a great job, in my opinion, of highlighting how to approach the questions. If self-studying doesn't do the trick for you, perhaps consider a formal review course. They're pricey, but so is not being able to practice due to not achieving a satisfactory test score.

All the best.

Spend the money on a review course from CME4Life, Certified Medical Educators or CME Resources.

Look at your PANCE results and isolate your weaknesses. Just doing questions won't help. Focusing on Cardio, Pulmonary, GI, Musculoskeletal, Women's Health and EENT will as will knowing how to Diagnose and what Pharmaceutical Intervention to provide will.

If your resume indicates you went to PA school and graduated, anyone hiring for any other position will determine you are a short term hire and will leave the moment you pass PANCE and get a PA position. 

Good luck.

George

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with using PrepU and attending a review course as well. I used PrepU and CME review course and passed the 2nd time after using these. Doing questions alone won't help as they can be worded differently on the exam. Understanding the concept, material is key to passing the PANCE. The review courses help you remember concepts better.

Btw, where in Ohio are you located? If you're not far from Cleveland, I maybe able to help you review.

Archived