"My situation" --- In Your Opinion?

I currently work for a solo orthopedic surgeon who is fellowship trained in adult hip and knee surgery. I've worked with him for the past 1.5 years and am feeling a touch slighted, but wanted everyones take/perspective. For history purposes, I have 3 years of ortho/neuro surgery experience and work about 1 hour west of Philadelphia in a small city. My duties are as follows:

-take practice call every monday/wednesday (for only one doc)

-take first call for every ED call night/weekend (100 dollars/day - very low in my opinion)

-H&P, round, discharge all patients (~8 total knees, 2 total hips / week)

-see all new patients, surgical follow-ups, injections, and sports related problems in the office (~60-70 patients/week total, 10-15 of which are new patients)

-first assist on every surgical case, write all pre-op and post op orders

-i typically work 35-45 hrs/week but I am expected to discharge remaining patients on saturday mornings every other week

The surgeon I work with is a decent guy, but he is growing more and more lazy/complacent. He complains often about his work-load but commonly procrastinates (In as sense he can because he owns the practice, i guess). He NEVER finishes his dictations and has a tractor trailer load of charts to finish. I feel more and more pressure to do more, while he continues to do less. I'm becoming frustrated as are many of the staff.

I started 1.5 years ago with the following package:

$75K salary

Individual Health insurance with 2500 deductible

$1K Christmas bonus

4 wks vacation/sick time

$1500 CME

all professional dues/fees pd

mal-practice insurance (no tail should i decide to leave)

$100/day ED call regardless of volume (taking call at a level 2 trauma center)

At my annual review my salary was increased to $79,000 and he felt that he was being overly generous (I requested $87.5K - 92.5K). He thought that the range I requested was ridiculous, and even got angry (haha). I have yet to sign the new contract (and as such can leave without notice), but have to make a decision soon. My boss is very passive aggressive, and is starting to regress I think.

Hopefully, I can get some insight and some other PA's perspectives on my situation.

Thanks!

I've asked to see financials multiple times. I get "him-hawed" by our office manager who always seems to have a "hard time" separating charges. My office bills under my SP for every patient I see. However, It's pretty easy to understand the surgical first assist revenue - Assuming I make $250-300 per case billed and we have 300 total joints that equals $75K-90K per year in first assist fees. I'm pretty sure that I at least equal or nearly double that amount when factoring in all patients seen as inpatients and outpatients. Because our office manager I believe has been told not to divulge information to me, I cannot be positive of my true monetary worth.

I'd love to stay, but my business sense tells me better. I feel like I've given ample time and example of my worth, and unfortunately I feel I may have been taken advantage of. I've actually been updating my CV for the past few weeks and toying with the idea of finding a new job.

Axist, I agree. I think it is time to move on. There are other opportunities out there that will certainly compensate you for what you are worth. Knowing what you're time and effort are worth does not make you greedy at all. I just graduated from Drexel Hahnemann in Philadelphia in December, and I frequent the job boards. I had three offers in Surgery and ER, and all were for >85K in the Philadelphia area. It seems you are not appreciated at your current practice given that the physician gives you the run around every time you try to discuss things and that he won't share financial information with you concedes that he doesn't want you to know how much you are actually making him bc then you would really want a raise! I don't think it will be difficult at all for you to find an immediate improvement in your situation! Good luck

After reading your post I believe it is time to relocate. I don't think you can negotiate a fair wage from this doctor who doesn't appreciate a hard working PA. You are making well below the average for salary and sounds like you do a lot of the work. I have heard similar stories from Philly ortho PAs who get low balled by docs who try to get away with sub-par pay for top notch work. You have experience and should have no time finding a doc happy to have you and not take you for granted. Another knock against the job is no tail coverage which can be several thousand upon departure so just a heads up. Let us know how this turns out

i agree with what others have said. its sounds like you have done everything you could have done. Take all that knowledge and experience you got busting your hump and use it as leverage. I think any employer will look at that and be impressed. Just be careful not to burn your bridges with this guy. He seems volatile

1.) Use your smart phone or Ipad to RELIGIOUSLY log EVERY 1st Assist, and Procedure you perform at any practice you work at from here on out.

2.) Before signing... have a clause inserted in all future contracts that allow YOU to pay for an independent accounting of YOUR work. Many SP will raise a eyebrow at this... but you can simply say that you have personal/professional goals/benchmarks that you would like to keep to.

3.) Ross Richter.... here

Good Luck

Contrarian

Big thanks to everyone for their input. I've already had a phone interview and I have begun looking into other options more aggressively. I will try my best to be gentle about leaving the current practice as I hope to leave all bridges "un-burnt".

Archived