Changing States

Hello all, I am a recently accepted PA-S to my most desired program. However, I am hoping to move out of state at some point in my career. I was wondering how difficult it is for PAs to move between states and become certified in each. I have spoken to some PAs about the topic and noone seems to have an answer for me.

I am new to the forum and am not yet used to navigating the topics but I'm sure this topic is covered somewhere in the archives. If someone has an answer for me or would be so kind as to link the appropriate topic, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

at one point I had 3 active licenses. I now have 2 as I let one lapse. all states require you fill out their form, send money, etc. A few have special cme requirements. some states like AK and HI are fairly spendy and have an involved application, but all are doable.

I have an add-on question regarding this.

Can you put in an application for licensing in anticipation of moving to a new state (without a residence or job there yet)?

Say a few months out. That way it's ready to go ahead of time...

some states allow for interim licensure before arranging an SP, some do not.

I'm from Minnesota, but went to PA school in Illinois. I took the PANCE in IL. I never applied for Illinois licensure; as soon as I passed PANCE, I started the paperwork for MN licensure. When I got hired at my first job, they took care of all the credentialing stuff, and as I recall, the state license was the easiest and fastest part.

You'll have to wade through a certain amount of red tape for your first job after school, anyway. Don't worry too much, just do whatever you can as soon as it's possible to do.

I'm from Minnesota, but went to PA school in Illinois. I took the PANCE in IL. I never applied for Illinois licensure; as soon as I passed PANCE, I started the paperwork for MN licensure. When I got hired at my first job, they took care of all the credentialing stuff, and as I recall, the state license was the easiest and fastest part.

You'll have to wade through a certain amount of red tape for your first job after school, anyway. Don't worry too much, just do whatever you can as soon as it's possible to do.

the more prior experience you have, espeicially in a licensed capacity, the longer your initial licensure may take. once you have 1 state license though it gets easier to get others. My first license in CA took several months because I had worked as an EMT in 3 counties and as a paramedic in 2 states. they wanted reports from each of these places. took 4 months. Oregon took 3 months. WA took 1 week.

Archived