advice on volunteering and shadowing

HI, I just finished all of my pre-requisites and will apply  to PA program. I do not work in the medical field, so I need to find volunteering position and also shadow PA. 

Can you recommend me some of the strategies how to find PA to shadow and what is the most beneficial position and place to volunteer. ( should I just show up in the clinic and ask for it, should I go to the hospital first??)

Thank you

Hey there,

There really is no "best way" or secret formula to attaining healthcare/volunteer experience. You could go to your local hospital, volunteer for them and apply to a position you may find compelling. You could also try to get certifications as a CNA or an EMT and go that route. There's many different options and avenues one can take. It's an experience in itself so just make sure that whatever it is that you ultimately do, enjoy it and learn from it because you will need to have extensive hours in these categories to boost the quality of your application.

Guest MedLib42

Many states' PA organizations will often have a list of PAs that have made themselves available to shadow; this can be a great place to start (even though you may have to join the organization to get access). If not, simply start contacting local clinics and hospitals that utilize PAs and ask how you might go about setting up a shadowing opportunity. If you email or go in person, it's often helpful to include or bring a copy of your resume, and provide brief reason why you are asking to shadow/why you want to become a PA (worked for me!).

As far as finding volunteer work, I would start with some major hospitals; most of them should have information about becoming a volunteer online, and will often have various types of volunteer positions. You can also do an internet search for free or underserved clinics in your area - they also should have online information on applying for volunteer opportunities; if not, contact them by phone or email and ask. Free clinics often will look great on a PA school app. 

If you're having trouble finding volunteer opportunities, try a website like Volunteer Match - you can specifically select "Health/Medicine" when you do your search: http://www.volunteermatch.org/

One thing to keep in mind: Many schools don't accept volunteer work as health care experience, because most volunteers aren't allowed to actually touch patients. Schools will often only take health care experience (HCE) that is paid. Volunteer work still looks great on an app (and some schools have a minimum community service requirement) but if you are planning to use volunteering as your main source of healthcare experience, make sure you are applying to schools that specifically accept volunteer HCE. You may even need to contact the schools you're interested in to find out. If you're not sure yet where you'll be applying, I'd strongly suggest trying to obtain some paid HCE in addition to volunteer - such as EMT or CNA. Paid HCE is much more universally accepted, and generally tends to be more competitive.

thank you for reply. I just got an opportunity to volunteer in Camillus house for homeless people in Miami. They also have clinic where they provide health care. My question is, if this is the right place to get the required hours for PA program. Still trying to find the physician or PA who allow me to shadow.

Archived