NPs and RNFA certification

Hi all-

I just interviewed for a general surgery position where the other midlevel in the practice is an NP. He and the chief both mentioned (separately) that he wants more OR time and that he is working towards first-assist certification, and the NP mentioned that there is a push in the NP world for RNFA certification. Anyone heard anything about this? Just curious. Wondering if this is the NPs attempt at muscling in on PA's predominant role in the surgical realm...

Hi all-

I just interviewed for a general surgery position where the other midlevel in the practice is an NP. He and the chief both mentioned (separately) that he wants more OR time and that he is working towards first-assist certification, and the NP mentioned that there is a push in the NP world for RNFA certification. Anyone heard anything about this? Just curious. Wondering if this is the NPs attempt at muscling in on PA's predominant role in the surgical realm...

I think that they would like to but its hard. AORN has designated the RNFA as the surgery advanced practicioner (despite the fact that it does not meet the requirements for advanced practice nursing). Texas requires NPs in surgery to be RNFAs. Other states and hospitals are moving this way. The fact that all PAs have some training in surgery and our scope is defined by the physicians practice makes it much easier for a PA to do surgery than NPs.

Archived