When is the right time to apply for jobs?

Hi guys,

I am a PA student who will be graduating 8/2013 and taking the PANCE at the beginning of September. I am wondering when the right time is to start applying for jobs. As of rite now I am about 4 months away from hopefully being fully certified, not to mention licensing and other involved paperwork. My main concern is the timing being to early and wasting a doc/hospitals time with an interview when I cannot service them for a few months. The jobs are plentiful in my area and while I want to begin working as soon as possible, I am not sure how to time out interviews, getting certified, and beginning to work. I see many jobs that I want to apply for but are skeptical to apply.

Thanks for any advice.

Let them tell you that you've applied too early. I graduated in December 2012, the job I accepted I had applied for in May 2012. The recruiter and chief of the department said they'd be willing to wait for the right candidate. Other jobs I applied to at the same time said, sorry but we need someone now, which I expected from some places. 4 months ahead isn't too bad, if someone wants to hire you they'll wait for you. The time between accepting my job and graduating was also used for me to get all of my credentialing paperwork completed and background check done. Once I passed the boards and had a license my file went to the credentialing committee 4 days later and was approved. I say take advantage of the time while you have it.

Archived