Confused High school student

I am so confused with what to do...my guidance counselor has been no help. What are the exact steps I have to take in and right after high school? Are there special programs I have to sign-up for? Should I volunteer a lot? Should I be a CNA or a RN first? What kind of experience should I have? Should I go to a four-year university? and If I do have to go to 4-year university, Why? What's a PA program? How long does it take to officially become a PA if I'm really dedicated to my work? Sorry for bombarding you with a lot of questions, but its so hard to figure out who to listen to and whats the best path. Thank you!

I am so confused with what to do...my guidance counselor has been no help.

That happens and it'll continue to happen especially during college.

What are the exact steps I have to take in and right after high school? Are there special programs I have to sign-up for?

You can start by shadowing PAs, physicians, RNs and other healthcare professionals to see the various job functions and what you would feel comfortable doing for the rest of your life. I'm sure there are volunteering opportunities and ROP or other programs around that will also help you gain exposure in healthcare.

Should I volunteer a lot?

You should volunteer as much as you are able to without sacrificing your grades, work experience, and family life.

Should I be a CNA or a RN first? What kind of experience should I have?

Any experience where you are directly handling patients including giving medications, wound care, taking vital signs / etc will be sufficient. I think it would be a good idea to get your EMT or CNA while working towards a bachelors degree. No reason not to get your CNA or EMT certification while working on a BSN. If anything it'll help you land a solid job once finished and it'll give you a good Plan B if you don't get into a PA program or some life event occurs that delays you pursuing your MSPA.

Should I go to a four-year university? and If I do have to go to 4-year university, Why?

Yes. Because most programs are moving towards a masters level. Also there are bachelor degree PA programs out there. There are a few AA programs too but they'll probably no longer exist once you're ready to apply.

What's a PA program?

In a nutshell it's 4-5 years of medical school condensed into 2-3 years. I would go to the AAPA website or google and research more about the profession.

How long does it take to officially become a PA if I'm really dedicated to my work? Sorry for bombarding you with a lot of questions, but its so hard to figure out who to listen to and whats the best path.

It could take anywhere from 4-7 years depending on the circumstances.

Everything Timon said is great. I would also add to look up pre-reqs for PA programs you might be interested in (though it is very early). I think most programs require A+P I & II, Biology I & II, Gen Chemistry I & II, and statistics. Other courses that are helpful and that some PA programs require are microbiology, medical terminology, biochemistry, and a psychology (abnormal or developmental, I think). Your Bachelors can be any major, but having a science one that requires you to take most of these courses would be helpful to you. I'm an Exercise Science major and was required to take A+P, Bio, and Gen chem I; so I still had to take all the others as extra. It did give me a lot of background on cardiovascular physiology and working with special populations (elderly, diabetics,and other chronic diseases)

There are about 15-20 programs around the nation that will accept you into PA school right out of high school. My daughter is in her sophomore year at one. Basically, you get a BS degree in 3 or 4 years (depending on the school) and (if you've maintained your GPA) go right into the 2 year Master level PA program. It's not easy -- you need a high GPA and excellent SAT scores to get in, and you must maintain a 3.5 GPA or higher once you're in school. Also, all student at most schools must get their CNA or EMT and work so many hours (varies by school) before they start the PA part of school.

At my daughters school, they get their BS in only 3 years (the MS is the last two years). So most students have to take around 19 credits per semester -- not easy with classes like A&P, organic chem, micro, and histology. Are you up to it? If so, look into it. It's great knowing you are guaranteed a spot in the PA program.

And if you decide later you want to go to med school, nursing, or get a PhD in biology you are in a great spot because you've basically got a pre-med degree that will allow you follow many different career paths.

Here's the list of schools that accept students right out of high school. Note that it is 2 years old and so may not be totally up to date. Also note that not all programs guarantee admission to the PA program, but make you re-apply after you finish your undergrad (Drexel and UMDMJ for example). Carefully check out these programs. Good Luck!

[TABLE=width: 145]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Springfield College[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Univ. of Detroit Mercy[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Seton Hall[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]UMDMJ[/TD]