Financial Aid benefits for married students?

In the past 6 weeks, I got accepted into a PA program, my boyfriend got accepted into medical school, and we got engaged. We would like to get married before we head off to our respective programs. We are both students, so our combined income for the last year was pretty low (less than 15000 total). I am just wondering if we will get more aid if we get married now or if we wait until at least I am done with school. If anyone has any insight, please let me know.

• 2 months later...

I would probably wait because each of you will likely reach the maximum of federal aid available to you whether you are married or not. Also, the FAFSA usually uses your last year's Federal Tax information, not the current year, so unless you two got married before Dec 31st, 2010, then it doesn't matter. That means your taxes will be filled out individually for 2010 and that is what will be considered for the 2011-2012 school year. So, in terms of aid for graduate school, there is not a federal aid benefit that I am aware of. I cannot advise on other forms of benefits.

On another note (as a married person myself), if you are considering your marriage in terms of student aid, I would definitely encourage holding off on the ceremony. The next phase of your respective lives is going to be crazy and you will not have much time for one another. This will be an extremely tough strain on a new marriage.

Since it has been a few months since you've posted this, do you mind sharing what you have decided on?

Jess

I would probably wait because each of you will likely reach the maximum of federal aid available to you whether you are married or not. Also, the FAFSA usually uses your last year's Federal Tax information, not the current year, so unless you two got married before Dec 31st, 2010, then it doesn't matter. That means your taxes will be filled out individually for 2010 and that is what will be considered for the 2011-2012 school year. So, in terms of aid for graduate school, there is not a federal aid benefit that I am aware of. I cannot advise on other forms of benefits.

On another note (as a married person myself), if you are considering your marriage in terms of student aid, I would definitely encourage holding off on the ceremony. The next phase of your lives is going to be crazy and you will not have much time for one another. This will be an extremely tough strain on a new marriage. Be truthful with yourself about how you would like your marriage to start off.

Since it has been a few months since you've posted this, do you mind sharing what you have decided on?

Jess

Well, we still have not decided. I about two weeks, I will finally know for sure which school I am going to. As far as how we want our marriage to start of, I am not too concerned. We have been together for over five years, and living together for two. I know it is going to be very hard, but waiting for the perfect time to get married would mean waiting until he was done with medical school and at least his internship year. We aren't planning on a big ceremony or anything no matter what, because neither of us want that. So in conclusion, everything is kind of up in the air. I am not in any particular rush to get married, because I'm happy. Just have to wait and see.

Archived