Transitioning to a new position

Hello all,

I'm in the hunt for a new position and am curious to hear from others who have made a switch. I have been in the ED for past 3 years (ever since graduating), and even though my current position is much better than my last, I dont know how much more I want to work in the ED. I am looking into hospitalist medicine, and trauma/surg ( i have interviewed for both). Outside if interviewing I would like to hear other opinions on making myself more marketable outside of the ED. I realize there is always a fellowship should I apply, and better yet get accepted. What other ways do you think are possible? I think every year that passes it will become harder to get a different position. I welcome all opinions.

Hello all,

I'm in the hunt for a new position and am curious to hear from others who have made a switch. I have been in the ED for past 3 years (ever since graduating), and even though my current position is much better than my last, I dont know how much more I want to work in the ED. I am looking into hospitalist medicine, and trauma/surg ( i have interviewed for both). Outside if interviewing I would like to hear other opinions on making myself more marketable outside of the ED. I realize there is always a fellowship should I apply, and better yet get accepted. What other ways do you think are possible? I think every year that passes it will become harder to get a different position. I welcome all opinions.

Guest Paula

Apply for one of the VA residency programs for PAs. They pay a stipend and Florida has a program. There was one started in Milwaukee, WI,too. You will be trained in hospital care and see complicated patients. It is a nice option to still get education and get paid, plus it might secure a job for you in a VA system and make you marketable to them, or in hospitalist work.

Good luck.

Guest Paula

Apply for one of the VA residency programs for PAs. They pay a stipend and Florida has a program. There was one started in Milwaukee, WI,too. You will be trained in hospital care and see complicated patients. It is a nice option to still get education and get paid, plus it might secure a job for you in a VA system and make you marketable to them, or in hospitalist work.

Good luck.

I went from 1.5 years in the ER to working in trauma / surgery, and now I am in the process of deciding whether or not I am going to go to a clinical cardiology position or a general surgery practice. The one thing that is so great about being a PA is the ability to change specialties if you decide you haven't found your "niche". I felt that because I was a paramedic for 11 years, then went into ER medicine right out of school that no one would want to look twice at me for any other type of position. Interestingly enough, I have found that my experience in the ER was a HUGE bonus and most (but not everyone) employers I recently interviewed with loved the fact that I had ER experience. They told me it was because you see such a wide variety of patients in the ER that you have more experience in other fields than you think. As long as you have a OP that is willing to take the time to train you properly- and talk to them frankly about this during your interview.... you should have no problem transitioning into whatever specialty you want.

as a side note... I would have loved to stay in my current trauma/ surgery position, but unfortunately my surgeons and the company I work for have had some growing pains and I decided that what they were using me for was not what my position was designed for and it was best for me to move on....

I went from 1.5 years in the ER to working in trauma / surgery, and now I am in the process of deciding whether or not I am going to go to a clinical cardiology position or a general surgery practice. The one thing that is so great about being a PA is the ability to change specialties if you decide you haven't found your "niche". I felt that because I was a paramedic for 11 years, then went into ER medicine right out of school that no one would want to look twice at me for any other type of position. Interestingly enough, I have found that my experience in the ER was a HUGE bonus and most (but not everyone) employers I recently interviewed with loved the fact that I had ER experience. They told me it was because you see such a wide variety of patients in the ER that you have more experience in other fields than you think. As long as you have a OP that is willing to take the time to train you properly- and talk to them frankly about this during your interview.... you should have no problem transitioning into whatever specialty you want.

as a side note... I would have loved to stay in my current trauma/ surgery position, but unfortunately my surgeons and the company I work for have had some growing pains and I decided that what they were using me for was not what my position was designed for and it was best for me to move on....

Archived