CME compensation

I am looking for an average CME compensation. I thought it was in the AAPA census or the Advance census. I've looked both places. I also did a search of this forum.

I'm looking for a breakdown. In other words, CME - does this include licensing fees, DEA, Memberships in societies such as AAPA, State organization, etc. Or is that paid separately and what is a good $$ amount for CME as well as a $$ amount for licensing and fees. What about lab coats, etc? does that come out of your CME?

If anyone can help me I would be grateful.

Kim

I am looking for an average CME compensation. I thought it was in the AAPA census or the Advance census. I've looked both places. I also did a search of this forum.

I'm looking for a breakdown. In other words, CME - does this include licensing fees, DEA, Memberships in societies such as AAPA, State organization, etc. Or is that paid separately and what is a good $$ amount for CME as well as a $$ amount for licensing and fees. What about lab coats, etc? does that come out of your CME?

If anyone can help me I would be grateful.

Kim

I can only tell you what I get: FOR my PA position, I get 4,000 per year and 7 trip days, we are limited to the continental US only. Special approval is required to travel to Alaska, Hawaii, or internationally, and that is hard to come by. Of that 4,000, 400 dollars can be spent on textbooks or journals, and/or iPad. We also get DEA reimbursed by the institution. However, societal membership dues, NCCPA fees, state licensure fees, etc. are NOT paid for. You have to pay for those out of pocket. No one I know buys lab coats as we don't wear them except on rounds or while in scrubs. Then we just use the off the shelf types. Clinic is business attire, suit jackets and ties.

FOR my research portion of my position, I get an additional 6 trip days, including international, and discretionary money which is technically unlimited, but needs administrator review and approval prior to the trip. They would prefer however, that some if not most of your travel is covered by grant monies.

NOW, contrast that with our attending physicians, who get 18 trip days, 12,000, and all societal and professional dues covered. They have no restrictions and can travel internationally wherever they choose.

I get the following: no paid cme days.

2000/yr used for conference expenses. becomes taxable income at end of yr if not used.

also dea, state license, aapa membership, 4 pairs scrubs and 2 lab coats, and a pocket tarascon pharmacopeia every yr

my last job was a little different:

1500 cme + 1 week with pay. (licenses/dea/etc had to come out of this)

1200 for non-cme college courses (this paid for my masters at nebraska)

2 lab coats

$4,000 annually for CME, tuition, travel expenses, books, conferences or other forms of continuing education approved. ( I have been using the money to pay for my Master's program). Use it or lose it.

$1,000 annually for professional memberships, state and local medical societies, and/or licensure fees and subscriptions to medical journals. (I use for my DEA every three years, and license fees.)

CME - up to 10 days paid for attendance at CME education courses. Unfortunately, I have never used all 10 days, and if not used, it is lost.

I buy my own lab coats.

• 1 month later...

first position after PA school in the ED: $2000/yr CME, employer covered cost of license fees, DEA. 5 days PTO for CME; second position in UC $500/yr CME, employer paid license fees, DEA and 3 days PTO for CME. Over the past year in interviewing for FT positions, I have been offered $0/yr for CME reimbursement (with low salaries of 70-75K), $350/yr with 2 days PTO for CME to $2500/yr. with 5 days PTO for CME. To my knowledge, I have not worked for an employer (nor interviewed with an employer) that covered the cost of professional memberships/medical societies.

first position after PA school in the ED: $2000/yr CME, employer covered cost of license fees, DEA. 5 days PTO for CME; second position in UC $500/yr CME, employer paid license fees, DEA and 3 days PTO for CME. Over the past year in interviewing for FT positions, I have been offered $0/yr for CME reimbursement (with low salaries of 70-75K), $350/yr with 2 days PTO for CME to $2500/yr. with 5 days PTO for CME. To my knowledge, I have not worked for an employer (nor interviewed with an employer) that covered the cost of professional memberships/medical societies.

Archived