Effect of PTSD on career as a PA?

Hey all, just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this.

I'm going to be starting PA school in May 2013 and am in the process of filing a disability claim w/ the VA for hearing loss & PTSD due to my time in Iraq.

Does anyone know if a PTSD diagnosis will inhibit my ability to obtain my DEA license/employment after graduation? i.e...will my diagnosis show up on a background check by potential employers, etc?

Thanks!

I think not. Most screens will ask you if you ave any illness or physical incapacity which would interfere with your being able to perform safe patient care,

Assuming the PTSD did not demonstrate itself with alcohol , drug, spouse abuse, and treatment for these, or an arrest record, then it will not come up in DEA screens.

If you have been or are being treated professionally for PTSD, your state license application may have to be annotated, as they will probably ask if you have been treated for any psychiatric or physical issues by any practitioners in the last 5 years.

Unless you have developed anti social, hypervigilant, aggressive personality disorders, I do not think the simple fact that you have PTSD Is disqualifying in any way.

At least it would not be in NC, SC, or ME.

Anyone with combat experience has PTSD.

ANYONE.

Capice?

Archived