Job Advice

Hi,

I need advice regarding my current job situation. I have been working at different SNFs around town and have developed a good reputation with the social workers, admin and staff throughout the area. My current employer has been in some trouble financially however they tell me that they will be fine. They still owe me a bonus and haven't lived up to other promises. Recently I had a offer from a competing MD to join him and help him secure the facilities I have been working at. I feel torn on one hand I feel I haven't been treated properly at my current job but I feel strange about taking the facilities from my former employer. Will I be blacklisted by other MDs? Any advice on how you would proceed?

M

This is analalgous to corporate raids and enticement of the raiding corporation for the raided corporation officers and managers to bring with them corporate secrets, proprietary data and work products.

It is EXTREMELY unethical ( if not illegal in some states if you are privey to business data) for you to do this.

Jumping ship is one thing.. You would be leaving because of presumed breach of contract or failure to perform on a promise..that is fair.

But you leave with honor, you do not steal nor sell nor make available your (former) employer's contract data, nor go enter into a hostile takeover against him.

Those are dishonorable actions, and would, if I were considering hiring you, very much be a negative. I would ever feel that I could trust you.

Your new employer's proposal sounds a little like, oh I don't know, dirty pool.. " come work for me so I can take over your current boss's business"

Makes me wonder.. Would you get that job offer If you tell him that you will not ACTIVELY work against your current employer, nor will you provide your current employer's proprietary information to the new employer?

If the new guy's ploy is to get you aboard, then sell his company to the SNFs as one which currently employs you.. ( he tells them how wonderful he is, and adds, "look here, I am going to bring ropeman500 with me".. And he requires no subversive actions on your part, that is okay.. You have done nothing wrong other than change jobs.

In this dogfight, you are, or appear to be, a desired commodity, desirable because of your known work ethic and capacity... Take this as a reflection of your REPUTATION.

Ask your new boss he he is interested in YOU, or merely your connections.

Tell him you will not partake in his takeover plans other than working for him.. You will not disgrace yourself by subtrifuging your current boss.

If he wants YOU for YOU, then work with him, but do not let the corporate warfare include you.

If i understand it accurately, This new boss's proposal leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Treat your old boss the way you would him to treat your new Boss were the situations reversed.

And you will come out a winner.

Otherwise, very much like the woman who marries the man who cheated on his first wife to have a relationship with her... What do you think your new boss will do to you should a newer, better, more "connected " PA come on scene?

Archived