FAFSA question

I have never had to fill out for FAFSA before. When they ask about living on or off campus for the schools, what if you aren't sure yet? Some of the schools I'm waiting to hear back from, including ones I've been accepted to, have a small amount of on-campus apts available, and I may not be guaranteed one.

So I guess my question is, should I answer on or off campus? Which would give me a better turnout when receiving loans?

It does not matter at all in terms of federal aid. Your answer is simply forwarded to the school and they may or may not choose to do anything with it.

Some schools calculate different housing allowances for living on v off campus, most don't. Either way it is easily adjusted it plans change and is not likely to affect you aid from the individual school at all.

Again, it's a federal aid v school aid issue. If you meet the requirements to be considered independent (>23yo, grad student, married, etc) the feds will not look at your parents' income or assets no matter what. By providing this information, you are passing this information on to the schools.

Some grad schools, most notably med schools, require EVERYONE to submit parental income/asset information. The rationale behind this is that most med students come straight out of undergrad and are still finacially supported by their parents. As such most of them have few assets and little income of their own...therefore very high calculated FEDERAL need. However med schools don't want to give a big fat financial aid package to a med student whose mommy is an anesthesiologist and daddy is an orthopod.

I don't know of any PA school off hand that have this kind of policy. You can check with the graduate financial aid offices at the schools to which you are applying/are accepted if you want to make sure. Just like tax returns, FAFSA can be ammended if you need change or add something after you file. (And as a side note, you want to be in touch with the grad. financial aid office of your PA school to see if there are any additional applications that need to be submitted or if they want physical copies of your tax returns, or any other hoops you need to jump through.)

Archived