Leadership Opportunities for PAs?

Hey all,

So I'm finally starting PA school this fall. I've been wondering, what are the leadership opportunities available to PAs? I've been working as an ER tech and clinical tech for a few years, so I've been part of the nursing staff for a long time, and am familiar with the various opportunities available in the nursing realm. I know that the hospital I currently work at has a Chief PA in the ED, and I know that New York Presbyterian has a Director of Physician Assistant Services (and they advertise as having "PAs represented at the highest levels of hospital leadership."). I'm curious, how common is such a position in hospitals? In some other hospitals I've looked at, I see PAs working under an RN/NP manager, or even at Columbia's MICU, they have a Chief NP, but no Chief PA (and they staff both), which seems odd to me, though obviously I'm looking at it from a non-PA perspective at this point. Then I see a lot of NPs and RNs working as transplant coordinators and similar positions.

So it just seems to me that nursing has more opportunities for leadership. Granted, I've been pretty focused on the clinical aspects of PA practice, which is what I love and am excited for, however I have looked into PA leadership opportunities a little, and am curious to know what it's like, as naturally my experience has been skewed more from my HCE as part of the nursing staff.

Thanks!

Archived