Breastfeeding my newborn -- should I tell prospective employer I need to pump at work

They cannot ask if I have kids or anything along those lines. However, I want to make sure that my needs and their expectations are equivalent. Should I divulge that I have 2 kids, one is a newborn, and I plan on exclusively breastfeeding the newborn until he is 1, therefore I will need to pump at least twice a day?! I'm so torn.

Should I discuss at the end of the interview? Wait till I'm offered the job? Not discuss at all?

Definitely NOT at the interview. I wouldn't bring it up unless the schedule as it has been described in the contract will preclude pumping. Then I would bring it up very matter of factly in a this-is-what-I-need tone (not an apologetic tone) and ask that the contract specifies 3 20-min breaks in an appropriate location (or whatever one would need to breastfeed).

Archived