OHSU or UC Davis

I am deciding between Oregon Health and Science University and UC Davis. Which program would you guys recommend? I am not sure what area of medicine I want to practice in after graduation. I have yet to hear back from 10 other schools I applied to. The only other schools that I would consider would be Duke and Midwestern University in Arizona. Assuming I do get into Duke and Midwestern. Would you guys choose OHSU over Duke, Midwestern, and UC Davis? I do want to practice in California after graduation. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Those programs all have great reputations, but there are a lot of variables to consider. Do you have a family to move? Where do you want to practice? Will you get in state tuition at UC Davis? I think that one perk of Davis (if you want to stay in California) is that you can start making California connections in rotations that may lead to a job. However, you also need to consider what makes the most sense financially so that you limit your debt. Good luck in your choice and congrats on getting in--this is a pretty good problem to have if you ask me!

OHSU certainly has the older masters program (UC Davis is starting a new one which will actually give you a masters out of the college of nursing!) and very organized rotations with a bit more choice. UC Davis will give you california connections mas grande. Both will give you an excellent education and ultimately, anywhere, that depends on you. UC Davis has internal challenges with both Nursing and the Department of Family Medicine and also major budget problems; which is very unsettled and challenged at the moment. The chair of Family Medicine may soon change and the impact on the program is unknown. The new emergence of the college of nursing, well funded and endowed, is also a question OHSU has a better Hx of independence and a long history of PA control over their own education allied with medicine and not nursing. Having been faculty at UC Davis (but not at OHSU) I would give OHSU at most a 5% edge in terms of quality of education but UCD a 5% edge in quality of California connections. You have a good choice in front of you, and the California connections will fade in time. Look at the money and the time. Do not discount OHSU. Oregon as a state has a more stable budget picture and health care culture.

congrats on both, you should be feeling pretty good about 2 high quality acceptances. as a financial pragmatist, I would choose the least expensive one if there's a significant difference in cost. if not, go to whichever program you felt you were a better fit for--consider location, quality, pance scores, etc. But to me, even if one program fits a bit better, it's not worth 25k if the other program is also high quality. good luck in your decision.

Risktaker, I am in the same boat (not with UC Davis, but between OHSU and Northeastern in Massachusetts). My family and my husband's family live in New England, and we know that EVENTUALLY, we want to move back there wehn we start a family(not sure if that will be in 1 or 5 or 10 years). I am having trouble with the decision because it seems more practical to attend Northeastern since I would more easily get hooked up w my first job, and it makes sense to be trained in the area you will be spending most of your life working. However - I felt that I really FIT at OHSU and I think it offers a slight edge over Northeastern with respect to academic training. Northeastern is about 20K cheaper, but cost of living in Boston is WAY higher than out in Portland, which definitely fits into the equation. And, I love Portland - between the microbrews and awesome day hikes right out of my backyard, I can't imagine going back to the east coast quite yet. I figure that I'll put down the deposit at both schools, but I am 95% sure I will be at OHSU next June.

For such a good position to be in, it is a surprisingly hard decision. However, I think that with a degree from OHSU, you will be well set up to work anywhere you want in the future, it just might be harder in the short term if you want to head out of the Pac NW. My advice? Put down the deposit at both so that you can make this decision without any pressure on you. Talk to your family, your friends, talk to Ted at OHSU (he is really great about helping with these decisions), talk to anyone who will listen. Make a list of the pros and cons, but go where you feel it's right. I WOULD listen to rpackelly with respect to the state of the budget etc at uc davis - a school going through major changes and a tumultuous time is one to be wary of, at least until things get settled. Good luck on your decision!!

You are in a good position, so just spend some time thinking pros and cons of each program. Going where you want to practice will definitely open up doors for you during clinical rotations, and it will be helpful for networking as well. But don't discount the cost and quality of your education. It's a tough decision to make, but you'll find the answer. Talk to whoever will listen. Hopefully you'll figure it out soon enough that you don't have to lose deposit money, too.

Archived