New grad PA between two offers

Hi all - soon to be new grad PA here. I'm looking for some feedback, I'm trying to decide between two job offers I have received. The offers are for pediatric neurology and ENT. Both outpatient. What is your overall thoughts on the offers and which specialty area would be best? I originally wanted to go into EM - but the job opportunities around me aren't great for EM. Excited about these two opportunities but nervous as well!
1.) ENT
  • Outpatient practice - 10 docs, 18 PAs. 40 hrs/week M-F, no weekends or call.
  • Starting salary for first year $105,000 with guarenteed $6,500 bonus in first year
  • Production-based incentive up to $5,000/quarter or $20,000 annually.
  • Gaurenteed 26 week orientation period
  • 401k plan the first of the month following 90 days of employment w/ 3% employer match
  • PTO (paid time off) accrued 6.77 hours per pay period + 7 standard holidays and 1 floating holiday.
  • Health insurance -- HRA structure. $5,000 deductable -- employee pays first $250 and employer covers the rest ($4,750)
  • CME = $2,000
2.) Pediatric Neurology
  • Outpatient practice affiliated with large academic institution. 1 doc, two APPs. 40 hrs/week M-F, no weekends or call.
  • Starting salary for first year $116,000 with $3,000 sign-on bonus w/ promissory note for a 2-year period.
  • Orientation period: 2 1/5 - 3 months with attending.
  • RVU productivity after 12 months of employment. RVU target for a full time APP in Pediatric Neurology is 1790 RVUs to earn incentive.
  • PTO: Accrued -128 hours (16 days) sick & personal combined
  • Health insurance - 3 different plan options. Retirement - 403b match at 2% after a 6% contribution.
  • Reimburse for cost of license and DEA and PANCE.
  • CME: $1000 per year. *Asked about this amount -- they say it is lower since institution is academic institution there is a lot of in-house opportunities for CME free of charge for employees.
  • Up to 10 work-days of Administrative/Academic Leave (AL) are permitted annually. CME time up to 5 work-days and AL activities (board meetings, additional training and other non-CME activities) up to 5 work-days per year are permitted.

Any firsthand experience or knowledge of these places? Which one seems more new-grad friendly and will offer mentorship? Have they hired new grads before? Turnover rate? What's the scope of practice for both?

I'd personally lean toward peds Neuro because I think it'd be a unique opportunity. From what I've heard, ENT can be repetitive.

Hopefully someone with EM experience will weigh in and provide better insight for you given your interest in EM. 

• Like 1