Things that have made you the best version of an EM PA

Hi! New grad going into EM at the end of April, and just like everyone else, I want to be excellent.

What are some tools that have made you more efficient, quicker, smarter and better in the ED?

One small example - one of my preceptors had a pre-written document with discharge notes/instructions of the most common CCs seen in the ED (laceration, syncope (child), rash, etc) that she would copy and paste and tailor to the patient if needed. but it saved her so much time as she was not typing or using the dragon for the same redundant info. would love to make the same kind of document for myself.

please share! 

Depending on your EMR and dragon or other voice recognition software, you can build your own smart phrases that you can include in your note, whether in the ROS, PE, or D/C instructions.

Even more important, empower your nurses to order things on your behalf.  They know the standard workups for most presentations.  Don't make them wait for you to place the orders - tell them you appreciate them just getting things started and you'll sign the orders placed in your name.

Don't try to learn everything all at once.  First, try to learn the ED: folks' names, where things are.  Second, work on becoming proficient with the EMR and dictation.  Third, pick a few common presentations, learn their workups, treatment, etc.  Forth, get proficient at the most common procedures 1st: wound repair, I&D, foreign body removal.  Then, as you become reasonably proficient in one thing, add something else to master.

This will help you feel better about yourself vs always feeling at the bottom of your learning curve.  It will also show value to the management sooner than a person who is still learning everything and not mastered anything.

• Like 1