Good offer or no?

1 year inpatient hospitalist experience. Started at 90k with 5k sign on bonus. No retirement for first year. M-F, hours differ every week but always 8 hour shifts. 10 days PTO. 3 days sick. 3 days CME. $2,000 CME money. No maternity leave. 40 minute commute. Should never have taken this job but it was a start. I don't have high hopes for renegotiation either. 

Current offer at another hospital doing inpatient hospital medicine. $68/hr. 7 on 7 off schedule. 10 hour shifts. Availability for extra shifts. 10% 401K match. $4500 CME first year. Fully paid maternity leave. No PTO/CME days. Required to work minimum of 108 hours/month, so they figure you have enough time off built in. About a 15 minute commute.

I know I need out of my current job but unsure if this is the one to jump to. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

The two positions you described lack a full picture of other variables (that I usually consider) such as the region/location (urban vs rural), market saturation, staffing/support, scope of practice, training/ongoing CME, autonomy/backup, call schedule (if any), acuity of patients (acute medicine vs ALC with no medical needs), teaching vs no teaching, public vs private hospital, flexibility of schedule changes, history of APPs/APP management (if any), turnover/satisfaction of current employees, community vs tertiary… it would be difficult for me to offer an opinion on what you provided.  

But… the numbers look better and sounds like you need to leave a poor fitting position.  

• Upvote 1

Job 1:

95k / (40h x 52 weeks) = $45.67/h

No maternity leave but is that something you will utilize? No maternity benefits is a red flag for me simply because I think it's something that should be offered. Lackluster PTO. 

80min per day commute x 5d x 49 weeks = 19,600 min in the car per year or 327 hours! That's time you can be sleeping, exercising, meal prepping, doing hobbies, or spending time with family/friends instead!! 

Job 2:

$68/h x 10h x 26 shifts per year = $123k

Covered maternity leave plus better CME

What happens if you get sick? Are they flexible with scheduling? 

30min per day x 182 shifts = 5460 min or 91 hours

This is a no-brainer to me as long as your next job doesn't have any major red flags either. Otherwise, the grass is greener because there's just more money on the other side.