Finding success after failure

Hey all,

After successfully completing my program I began to gear up for the PANCE. I have always been a student that excels clinically but has struggled academically. I never had problems understanding the content, but I believe my struggle was caused my many factors... Overall motivation, covid induced online learning, trying to find the answers that faculty/standardized tests want, and my personal learning style is likely what led to my inevitable failure of my first PANCE. I was fresh out of school, utilized ROSH, PPP, Comprehensive review, and personal notes in my first go around of studying. I soon found out I had failed by 20 points or so. 

If you find yourself in this position, be sure to evaluate yourself first. Mentally you can be caught into a pessimistic, jealous (of your friends and classmates), and dark period of life. I questioned if it was worth it, felt shame and guilt, and overall was not in a great headspace. I had to postpone job hunting and felt uncertainty moving forward in my career. 

YOU CAN DO IT. Find the systems that work best for you to sustain optimism and your mental health. 

In terms of studying for my second attempt, I purchased the online program PRECIPIO by Dr. John Athas. This is truly not a prompted exposure to their program, but it helped me to 1.) study for the PANCE 2.) approach medicine with a 'back to basics' mentality with an emphasis on pathophysiology and understanding the disease and 3.) reinvigorate why I enjoy medicine in the first place. I cannot recommend the program enough. This combined with UWORLD (which is actually included in the program) helped me jump up around 80 points and confidently navigate the PANCE. After going through the material in school, in board reviews, and once for my first attempt the precipio material felt like a much needed alternative. Every program is not for everyone, but if you have any resemblance to my story above it is certainly worth checking out. 

It is starting to feel all worth the effort and I am looking forward to progressing in my career and taking this failure with me as a positive experience. Gaining a sort of resilience, a sense of pride in my response to failure, and being able to provide a helping hand for those behind me in the process. 

I hope you all stay well!

Best, 

If you have any questions about my experience, advice, or encouragement please let me know!

• 4 months later...