Is the specialty rotation necessary to pursue the career specialty?

Hi all,

Clinical year PA student here. I’m wondering if doing an elective in the speciality you desire to pursue in your career is necessary to land a job in that speciality? For instance, if I’m interested in CT surgery, will doing a rotation in CT surgery necessary for me to land a CT surgery job in the future? 

I know this question is rhetorical, but due to many variables, the elective rotation that was secured is no longer available and my school is having a hard time to find a replacement for the specific time frame…

Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks! 

Necessary, no.  Helpful, yes, in many ways:

• you'll actually have experience in that specialty to get a much better feel for if you like life as a PA in that field.
  • you'll make contacts (physicians, PA's, etc) in that field who can be references and point you in the direction of job openings.
  • you'll have more creditability when you interview, because you can say you were interested in that specialty and doing a rotation in that specialty confirmed that you feel it's right for you.
  • Like 1