Malpractice Insurance

Yes, you should carry your own

The insurance that the group or hospital carries for you has, at its core, the group management or the hospital as its client, and will preferentially do what is best for the group or the hospital over what may be best for you.

You own insurance carrier has only you as its client, and you are intimately involved in the decision process...

Plus, the insurance the ED. Carries on you covers you only in the ED ( and any free standing clinics the group/hospital may own and assign you to). If you want to moonlight, you will be a lot more flexible with your own policies.

The only problem with your own coverage (and I speak from experience), is that a suit or a settlement for an allegation can be negotiated by the group insurance without you even being involved.. Whether or not you agree, and when you do hear about it, your insurance hasn't even had a chance to protect/defend you. So you may want to insert language in your contract prohibiting the group insurance from taking any action in cases involving you without first contacting you and your own insurance.

And is reasonable cheap: 1m/3m occurrence mal practice for full time ED. In my area ( south) is about 2500 year.

Since st Paul dropped med-mal, rates have become very regional

So I would carry it.

Archived