Advice for a future PA still working on bachelors!

Hey im new here and hoping to become a PA in the future but considering how tough it is to get into these PA programs I want to make sure I have a chance and that i'm on the right track. I've talked to a few counselors and all of them always tell me the same thing "This program is very hard to get into a we have hundreds and hundreds of applicants every year but only a few make it." This is not encouraging and it makes me feel like I don't have a chance. I almost feel like they're trying to say it in the nicest way: "Your grades suck and there's no way you'll get into this PA program."

I started off college with no major and took all types of general classes. I was not prepared for my Principals of Biology 1 course (general biology class for biology majors) which I managed to get a C in. I later took Principals of Biology 2 which I got C in as well. I took General Chemistry (general chemistry class for chemistry majors) and got another C. Things were looking bad. I took some other classes like psychology, human growth & development, and other minor classes which I managed to get A's in. I was never a good student in high school (not BAD, but just not straight A's or B's)

More recently I have taken A&P 1 and 2, microbiology, and biochemistry which I managed to get A's in. I made the dean's list for a whole year. I figured that since i really enjoyed these classes and i felt comfortable taking these hard courses that maybe I should do something in the medical field and eventually convinced myself to go to school for a PA. Right now I am taking genetics, biochemistry 2, medical terminology, and some history course required for when I transfer to a university. I feel a lot more confident and a lot smarter after taking my A&P courses since I know a lot of people say these are some of the difficult classes. Surprisingly I really enjoyed the class and I did not have an easy teacher.

If you read all of that THANK YOU!

My current GPA is 2.967 and i'm hoping to raise that pass a 3.0 after this semester is over. I've never received anything less than a C in college. I will have my associate in science degree after this semester as well and plan on transferring to Cleveland State University next fall to work on my bachelors. The only colleges in ohio that offer a PA program have very low review scores for top PA programs which also worries me.

I know this might some very broad and im sure you get annoying questions like this all the time, but how do I stand in the field as of right now? I know i still got a couple of years to go to raise my GPA but am I going to be competitive against all these other people? Should i try going part time to college and spend my other half constantly shadowing other PAs or getting a job in the medical field? Any advice or support would be great!

You need to rearrange your statistics using a timeline. Freshman year: X GPA, Sophmore: X GPA, etc.

If you have a significant upward swing then you could always consider just retaking the classes which you earned less than stellar grades in. Doing so could help reveal your improvements in academia/commitment/discipline/time management.

Also, you mentioned you'll be finishing your BS in biology soon. You could potentially apply for an accelerated BSN program (seeing as how you would have probably have all the required sciences already completed). BSN will provide you with a career in addition to propelling you in the application process versus any competing applicants.

I wouldn't concern myself with the "review ratings" of potential programs. The difference between MD and DO is probably fussed about more among nonmedical community members than among professional medical personnel. If you can earn a PA-C, you're a PA-C. The National Exam doesn't discriminate the ranking of your program.

You have more options than you think.

Archived