Need advice after employer dissolved contract

I’ve been a PA for just over 2 years and I recently accepted my second job in the ED. I was working strictly fast track and accepted the new ED position after I was told I would receive a month of training (reduced rate), hoping to learn more advanced work-ups, then transition to a full time shift at the normal PA rate. After I had departed my last job, they changed the terms and had me sign 2 contracts, one for a week of training shifts and the second for the regular full time and full pay shifts. I worked my week of training days and was told by my boss that based on my ED experience, I was ready for full time. I worked the full time schedule for about one month when I was told that my full time contract was being dissolved because 1) they thought I needed more training and 2) because the PA who left prior to me arriving wanted their old job back, so they took me off the schedule and put this other PA on all of my remaining shifts (almost 2mo worth). They now have me working training shifts and state they will provide a new full time contract to sign in a couple of months. I assume that it will be for the same pay rate, 1-year commitment (breaking requires payback of the entire training salary) and 90-day notice of quitting. I feel like they haven’t acted in good faith.

Should I approach this as a path to gaining valuable experience and sign the new contract? Also, how negative would it be to provide less than 90-days notice if something else arises prior fufilling the one year contract? Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

All Ed players are 30-90 days away from becoming unemployed, contractually. In at will states, you can be terminated without any reason at all. Sounds like they have buyers remorse...

The old guy is wanting to come back, and you are not up to his speed.

Ask yourself, do you LIKE working there?

The only loss you have walking out of a contract is 1) reputation.. Word gets around. And 2) your last paycheck, which the contract usually stipulates is penalty for failure to perform on it..

Good luck.

If so, (you like it), then stay in training. Learn how to be a better ED PA... this will never hurt you... The best managers know intuitively it is easier to take a average PA and make him a superstar, than it is to try to hire one ( they are few and far between).... These guys sound like they understand that and are offering you that pathway.

Or, 90-day out ( contract works both ways), and job-up elsewhere.

While you are in training mode, they will probably let you put of the contract if you desire...

If we're me, I would take the training, beef up skills, and make myself a better package.

Archived