need salary advice please...

I've worked as a CT surgery PA for almost 20 years but have recently been offered a per diem ER position that I'm considering doing on the side. I have pre-PA experience in EMS x 12 years. The problem is....I have no idea what the going average hourly pay is for a per diem ER position for a PA with lots of experience but who is new to the ED. I live in North Carolina, near Raleigh. I know there's no hard/fast number you all can give me, but I'm hoping I can get some ball park numbers so I at least know where to start negotiating. I'm very sure they will try to lowball me to begin with, so I want to have some idea before I talk $$ to them.

thanks in advance :)

Hourly rates are very location dependent, for example by metropolitan area.  However, most reports break it down by state.  I've never practiced in NC, so this is a general perspective, but I would think $65/hour would be on the low end, with an experienced EM PA making $75-80/hour.  PRN positions without benefits can sometimes pay a bit more.  Since you are coming in without EM experience but likely are able to learn and progress quickly, one approach you could take in negotiating if offered a low rate initially is to get a guaranteed raise after a certain amount of hours.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1