Meaningful Use Question

Hello,

I am in the process of relocating to California from out of state. One of the prospective medical directors has told me that PAs are not included in the Meaningful Use incentive program for EHR and that puts the practice at a financial disadvantage by hiring a PA vs an MD/DO. I have looked all of this information up on the State's website. It seems as though they can be incentivized up to $60,000 over a period of 6 years. I want to counter with that difference in money will be overcome by the difference in salary they will pay a PA vs MD/DO. I just want to be sure that this is a valid argument and that I am understanding this policy correctly. Currently I work in a hospital in surgery in Pennsylvania, so this is kind of a foreign concept to me. This is a for a primary care position outpatient clinic. I know that PAs are eligible for the Meaningful Use if it is a PA run practice in an underserved area, but this situation does not fit that criteria. I looked on CAPAs website but could not find anything applicable. I am going to call them and ask as well, but just curious if anyone else has an knowledge on this matter?

Thanks!

Archived