Electronic Signature

This may sound like an odd question, but I'd like your take on this. We have just begun using an EMR at our practice. Initially, midlevels were to electronically sign our progress notes and forward it to the SP for cosignature. Now, the managing MD has eliminated the midlevels electronic signature, and has up type a blurb saying that we discussed the case with Dr. So-and-So, with our name and the words "Digital Signature" typed underneath. We then forward the chart to the SP for electronic signature.

Is this okay by Medicare? My understanding is that the electronic signature is part of an electronic record and must be executed by the person who performs the service. Also, the record must state one of the following: "electronically signed by", "electronically verified by", "reviewed by", or "authenticated by".

Is what the managing MD is doing legal? Is the so-called "digital signature" valid? I may be asking a dumb question, but whenever this guy does something I always wonder what he is cooking up.

Thanks!

Archived