Setting up best schedule

Hey everyone

I work in a neurosurgery group of 4 docs. We cover two hospitals ona a trauma center and one a local community hospital. About 75% of elective cases are done at the local hospital. Right now the group only has me working m-f 7-3 without call at the local hospital. Of course I am never going home at three but that is besides the point. The trauma center has an np that rounds during the day and does not assist m-th. the group would like to add pa coverage to 24 hrs a day for both hospitals. However the days are all ready covered by this np that is hospital employed. So the trauma center needs night coverage and weekends and the local needs more day coverage nights and weekends. The question is what is the best way to set this up. What would be your dream schedule? Both ICUs are covered by intensivists so it's really just rounding consults and first assisting. No office currently.

They are considering just having the day pas go on call at night. But they are also considering a full night shift. What's the best suggestions I can give them for hours and shifts and call vs no call? Or maybe you can put what your schedule is down.

Thanks

Hey everyone

I work in a neurosurgery group of 4 docs. We cover two hospitals ona a trauma center and one a local community hospital. About 75% of elective cases are done at the local hospital. Right now the group only has me working m-f 7-3 without call at the local hospital. Of course I am never going home at three but that is besides the point. The trauma center has an np that rounds during the day and does not assist m-th. the group would like to add pa coverage to 24 hrs a day for both hospitals. However the days are all ready covered by this np that is hospital employed. So the trauma center needs night coverage and weekends and the local needs more day coverage nights and weekends. The question is what is the best way to set this up. What would be your dream schedule? Both ICUs are covered by intensivists so it's really just rounding consults and first assisting. No office currently.

They are considering just having the day pas go on call at night. But they are also considering a full night shift. What's the best suggestions I can give them for hours and shifts and call vs no call? Or maybe you can put what your schedule is down.

Thanks

Hey everyone

Thanks

Currently I work as a Trauma/surgery PA at a level 3 trauma center. There are two of us PA's and we work 4 days on, 4 days off- my partner is off on my "on" days and vice versa. I come in at 7 am, round and first assist any cases we may have. I go home when we are "done" which is usually after 7 pm. I'm on call after that until 7 am the next morning.. and the surgeon only calls me in on an emergent basis.. IE: traumas that need to go into immediate surgery, hot bellies, things of that nature. They don't usually call me in for consults in the middle of the night unless they are getting hammered. Works pretty well. hope this gives you a starting point.

Currently I work as a Trauma/surgery PA at a level 3 trauma center. There are two of us PA's and we work 4 days on, 4 days off- my partner is off on my "on" days and vice versa. I come in at 7 am, round and first assist any cases we may have. I go home when we are "done" which is usually after 7 pm. I'm on call after that until 7 am the next morning.. and the surgeon only calls me in on an emergent basis.. IE: traumas that need to go into immediate surgery, hot bellies, things of that nature. They don't usually call me in for consults in the middle of the night unless they are getting hammered. Works pretty well. hope this gives you a starting point.

Archived