Help me choose some elective rotations

So our school gives us 2 electives and we're at the point now where we need to start submitting them to faculty. I know 100% that cardiology is going to be one of them, however I'm stuck on my second one. I have an interest in cardiology and emergency med, but not surgery, granted I haven't had my surgery rotation yet so I can't say for sure. I have it narrowed down to either derm, IR, or possibly a second ER rotation. The reason I may choose derm is to improve on a weakness, not necessarily to actually go into the specialty. I have a real hard time with all the different lesions so I figure what better way to learn than to do nothing but derm for a month straight. Chances are if you show me a lesion and ask me what it is I'll have next to no clue. If I ended up liking it and wanted to go into that field, that would be a bonus. For IR, I know very little about the field except that I like to do procedures and I'm also very weak on radiology, so I was hoping an IR rotation could help me get some more hands on knowledge reading CT/US/etc from actual providers. I've heard it's a great field but I'm concerned about the  radiation exposure, and again I know next to nothing about it going in. Finally, the second ER rotation is kind of last on my list but I think ER might be an area I end up wanting to go into once I graduate, so another rotation in ER couldn't hurt. I'd rather branch out though and go with something I haven't had a chance to do yet.

If you guys have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm also open to other suggestions as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t give advice other than don’t worry about radiation exposure unless you’re going to an unsafe rotation site that doesn’t provide you with proper protective equipment.  I don’t think a month or two is going to cause you to grow another eyeball or develop cancer.  But hey maybe someone has done a study on people working in IR and I’m wrong.  

I thinking picking rotations based on weaknesses you want to strengthen or fields you are interested is a great way to do it. 

Archived