Did you participate in the NHSC program and was it a positive experience?

Hi, I am a current 1st year student participating in the scholarship program. So far the network of support has been great. They've been very good at communicating (conferences,webinars, & networking opportunities). Scholars this year communicate with each other too via Facebook. Of course I haven't yet worked for a HRSA approved site, but have every confidence that there are many to choose from (and new classifications of sites added recently).

Hi, I am a current 1st year student participating in the scholarship program. So far the network of support has been great. They've been very good at communicating (conferences,webinars, & networking opportunities). Scholars this year communicate with each other too via Facebook. Of course I haven't yet worked for a HRSA approved site, but have every confidence that there are many to choose from (and new classifications of sites added recently).

I thought that with the scholarship aspect of the program, the NHSC sends you to an underserved area, whereas with the loan repayment aspect, you choose which jobs to apply for. If you're in the scholarship program, you have a choice as to which area you serve in?

I thought that with the scholarship aspect of the program, the NHSC sends you to an underserved area, whereas with the loan repayment aspect, you choose which jobs to apply for. If you're in the scholarship program, you have a choice as to which area you serve in?

Scholarship recipients are required to select a site within the NHSC network, but they do have a choice. There are many sites out there, but scholars are limited to certain sites with a minimum score. Scoring is based on location and population served, it starts at 1 and goes up to 26 I believe. I don't remember what the minimum is for scholars....19 or 20? Maybe higher. The benefit of being a scholar is that your schooling is paid for so you don't have to worry about monthly loan payments. The downside is it's tough to find sites with scores that high. So in a way, you are limited in your selection. But many sites are required to hire scholars, so there is job security for new grads.

The other side is loan repayment. Once you graduate you are free to apply to any site within the NHSC network regardless of rating. BUT (and it's a big one, lol) keep in mind that the lower the rating the lower the amount of loan repayment you receive. If you land a job with a rating >14 then you will qualify (no guarantee) for full time loan repayment at $60K for the initial 2 year contract. If the site has a rating of <14 then you qualify for part time loan repayment, I think that is $40K for a 2 year commitment. You must still actually apply for the loan repayment once you get the job. Again, no guarantee you will get the funding just because you got the job. One downside to LR is that many of the sites require a minimum of 1 year experience. This limits possible sites for new grads The other downside of loan repayment is this: during the time you work you will still be responsible for making monthly loan payments. Your funding will be sent to you in one lump sum, and you will be required to prove that the full amount went toward your loans within 60 days (I think) of receiving it. So you can't put it in a savings account and use it to make your monthly payments.

There are pros and cons for each situation. Look at each one carefully and decide which one works best for you.

Vaston - is there ever a case where they pay more than 60K during the first 2 years? If you work longer than the 2 years do they pay more?

The max they pay for the first 2 years is $60K. After your initial 2 year contract you are able to re-up your contract on a yearly basis for $30K/year for 2 more years then $20K/year after that. From what I have been told, this can also be used for any federal loans for undergraduate education.

Again, these numbers are dependent upon you getting an NHSC job with a score of 14 or higher. If the score is less than 14 then then money is significantly less.

Scroll down the page on this link and you will see a slide bar that will estimate your repayment amount based on site ranking and years of service.

http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/index.html

Hey guys sorry I'm late :) this year the number for scholars is 16. After they pay Duke, and I choose a site for the first two years they say if I continue to work for NHSC site (even lower scored/loan repayment range) they'll pay back all undergraduate, etc loans (so, rollover to loan repayment status). Hoping everyone applies!,

Archived