Soul Searching

Been thinking a lot lately about what exactly it is I want to do. Little background on me first.

I'm 25, starting EMT school this fall, then straight to medic school while doing prereqs for PA school. I've worked in a limited capacity in healthcare before as a pharmacy technician (compounding).

It's not the course load I'm worried about. I've been a good student my whole life, particularly in science.

The issue is this. I know its going to sound idealistic, and I expect backlash from that, but I want to make a difference. Not just in patient care, but in healthcare.

I've been kicking around some options. It's not necessarily my goal to be an EMS director, more along the lines of wanting to be an advocate for paramedics and PAs.

I've gotten involved in a few grassroots organizations already.

Question is this. What would be the best way to make myself "legit" as it were in being a health professions advocate? I've heard different things, from PA/MPH to sucking it up and going to med school to sticking with paramedicine.

Mostly just looking for opinions. I know there aren't any solid answers. Just wanted input from people who are already involved, specifically in emergency specialties like EM and Trauma.

Been thinking a lot lately about what exactly it is I want to do. Little background on me first.

I'm 25, starting EMT school this fall, then straight to medic school while doing prereqs for PA school. I've worked in a limited capacity in healthcare before as a pharmacy technician (compounding).

It's not the course load I'm worried about. I've been a good student my whole life, particularly in science.

The issue is this. I know its going to sound idealistic, and I expect backlash from that, but I want to make a difference. Not just in patient care, but in healthcare.

I've been kicking around some options. It's not necessarily my goal to be an EMS director, more along the lines of wanting to be an advocate for paramedics and PAs.

I've gotten involved in a few grassroots organizations already.

Question is this. What would be the best way to make myself "legit" as it were in being a health professions advocate? I've heard different things, from PA/MPH to sucking it up and going to med school to sticking with paramedicine.

Mostly just looking for opinions. I know there aren't any solid answers. Just wanted input from people who are already involved, specifically in emergency specialties like EM and Trauma.

So to paraphrase what I think you are musing about... A group of people get together around a table and make decisions about the profession. You want a seat and a voice at that table some day.

Coming from a firefighter/ems background, I think I would encourage you to take a peek over at the Department of Homeland Security angle. They have some the deepest pockets (most money) to help fund new equipment, training and the like. DMAT and FEMA teams can be quite well funded as well which helps development past the "status quo". I am sure EMEDPA will weigh in and give some better ideas. I get the impression he is headed for the spot that you dream of occupying some day.

So to paraphrase what I think you are musing about... A group of people get together around a table and make decisions about the profession. You want a seat and a voice at that table some day.

Coming from a firefighter/ems background, I think I would encourage you to take a peek over at the Department of Homeland Security angle. They have some the deepest pockets (most money) to help fund new equipment, training and the like. DMAT and FEMA teams can be quite well funded as well which helps development past the "status quo". I am sure EMEDPA will weigh in and give some better ideas. I get the impression he is headed for the spot that you dream of occupying some day.

The seat at the table isn't all it's cracked up to be. I frequently attend higher profile health policy meetings, and interact with a bunch of people in DC on a regular basis.

It's frustrating to say the least. For example, I was at a meeting recently in Alexandria, where a physician...(head of a huge specialty organization) and I were talking and he was impressed with my economics background and knowledge in policy....

Then he asked where I practiced in medicine (assuming I was a physician I guess)....When I told hem that I was a PA....he looked shocked...Said "well, it's nice having you people here"....Translation= WTF IS a PA doing here? Then he got up and didn't speak to me again for the rest of the meeting.

I would say this:

First you need to decide is policy all you want to do? Or do you want to practice clinically, cause it's not clear from what you wrote...

Second, if you want to practice clinically, then you decide on PA or MD.....for policy stuff..the biggest things will be a background in economics, an MPH, a DrPH, a DHSc, and even an MBA.

It depends more on the person, and your ability to network, think very quickly on your feet (especially helpful in a Senator's office when he is grilling you), and always maintain a positive attitude about your advocacy.....(sometimes difficult).....

The thing to know about policy...and EMED knows this well too, is, that your reputation is extremely important. This takes time to build. It takes time to work on small committees, develop your reputation, and then other opportunities will arise. But you won't be invited to the big tables immediately. It doesn't work that way.

Start by working with your current EMS society locally and on the state level....proceed from there....

The seat at the table isn't all it's cracked up to be. I frequently attend higher profile health policy meetings, and interact with a bunch of people in DC on a regular basis.

It's frustrating to say the least. For example, I was at a meeting recently in Alexandria, where a physician...(head of a huge specialty organization) and I were talking and he was impressed with my economics background and knowledge in policy....

Then he asked where I practiced in medicine (assuming I was a physician I guess)....When I told hem that I was a PA....he looked shocked...Said "well, it's nice having you people here"....Translation= WTF IS a PA doing here? Then he got up and didn't speak to me again for the rest of the meeting.

I would say this:

First you need to decide is policy all you want to do? Or do you want to practice clinically, cause it's not clear from what you wrote...

Second, if you want to practice clinically, then you decide on PA or MD.....for policy stuff..the biggest things will be a background in economics, an MPH, a DrPH, a DHSc, and even an MBA.

It depends more on the person, and your ability to network, think very quickly on your feet (especially helpful in a Senator's office when he is grilling you), and always maintain a positive attitude about your advocacy.....(sometimes difficult).....

The thing to know about policy...and EMED knows this well too, is, that your reputation is extremely important. This takes time to build. It takes time to work on small committees, develop your reputation, and then other opportunities will arise. But you won't be invited to the big tables immediately. It doesn't work that way.

Start by working with your current EMS society locally and on the state level....proceed from there....

I'm actually thinking of doing what I can in paramedicine as a start. Working up to a professional medical degree (MD, DO, or PA) and an MPH.

I'm not wanting to get involved so much in say...national health policy right away if at all. More along the lines of improving the quality and structure of PA and paramedic programs.

With that in mind, would a degree in education be helpful as well?

I'm actually thinking of doing what I can in paramedicine as a start. Working up to a professional medical degree (MD, DO, or PA) and an MPH.

I'm not wanting to get involved so much in say...national health policy right away if at all. More along the lines of improving the quality and structure of PA and paramedic programs.

With that in mind, would a degree in education be helpful as well?

From my experience (leadership in county EMS organizations, some influence at state level), the key is gradually working your way up a single ladder. Being a physician (MD or DO) can get you started on a higher ladder, but staying on a single ladder is the best way up. I stepped off the EMS organizational ladder to become an EMS educator and prep for PA school - that was starting over with little carry over. As a PA, I'll be starting over again.

Archived