Cancer follow-up appointments

Does anyone know if it is typical for a surgeon to follow his cancer patients long term? In particular a general surgeon following breast and colon cancer patients. I've only had exposure to 2. My clinical preceptor and my current boss. I've been with him 5 yrs. and this is my first job out of PA school.

The reason I ask is that he has hired a new surgeon who does not follow any patient long term. My boss usually follows them for 5 yrs. if they are cancer free 5 yrs out we will discharge them to their PCP. My preceptor did the same.

What do most surgeons do?

I tried a search but didn't find anything on this topic.Thanks for any help.

Does anyone know if it is typical for a surgeon to follow his cancer patients long term? In particular a general surgeon following breast and colon cancer patients. I've only had exposure to 2. My clinical preceptor and my current boss. I've been with him 5 yrs. and this is my first job out of PA school.

The reason I ask is that he has hired a new surgeon who does not follow any patient long term. My boss usually follows them for 5 yrs. if they are cancer free 5 yrs out we will discharge them to their PCP. My preceptor did the same.

What do most surgeons do?

I tried a search but didn't find anything on this topic.Thanks for any help.

Archived