ICT in Preparation for PA

This is my second year applying to PA programs and it seems I might have to try again next cycle. I served as Hospital Corpsman for 6 years; gained direct patient-care experiences in the ER, PACU, Same-Day-Surgery, and Med-Surg Ward. Last year I finally graduated with B.S. in Biology and a decent GPA. From my interviews at the PA programs, I felt I was liked by the faculty and one of the interviewers commented I was a "strong applicant". After inquiring about interview feedbacks, I found myself weak in interpersonal communication and maybe shadowing hours (perception from the interviews). Moreover, I was asked about the gap in my health-related employment history since my discharge. Even though I explained I placed my education as my top priority, now I've graduated from school I feel the need to re-familiarize myself in the health-care setting, as well as to regain my interpersonal skills. Through research, I learned there was a piloted program at the VA Department, where military veterans with medical MOS/ratings could transition to Intermediate Care Technician (ICT) in VAs. Nonetheless, I was unable to locate an ICT position in my area, well, not even in my state --- California. Has anyone encountered the same problem of seeking an ICT position, or anyone could provide me some advice on my situation?

Archived