NCCPA FORUM ON MENTAL HEALTH

I just read this news article on the NCCPA website:

PA organizations convene on mental health issues

Six major PA organizations recently came together at the PArtners in Mental Health Summit to identify how PAs can help address the challenges of identifying and treating mental health in the US. Among the attendees were the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the PA, AAPA, NCCPA, nccPA Health Foundation, PA Education Association, and the PA Foundation. During the meeting, the 6 groups developed a framework that will allow them to create and implement programs that will better equip PAs to address mental and behavioral health needs. According to Ted Wendel, PhD, chair of the board of the nccPA Health Foundation, certified PAs are on the frontlines of care, and they "have a unique opportunity to evaluate patients and offer a treatment or referral at this point of care."

http://www.nccpa.net/Uploads/docs/PressReleasePArtnersinMentalHealth.pdf

I'm glad to see these 6 organizations are concerned about mental health in this country. However, I don't understand why the did not invite the recognize PA specialty organization, Association of PAs in Psychiatry, to be included in this discussion group. It is especially puzzling because there is a CAQ for PAs in psychiatry. As we seen in the past, excluding the groups that may have the greatest knowledge in the subject might also lead to disenfranchising not only the organization but also individual PAs who practice in psychiatry. Just my $0.02 any other thoughts?

Oversights like this continue to frustrate my plans since I am trying to pivot into a mental health provider role. I'm a medical laboratory scientist so PA is closer to my educational qualifications since I wouldn't have to backtrack to the BSN. I also want the stronger foundation the curriculum affords since psych. consumers often have complex morbidities (iatrogenic and otherwise) that may never get another chance to be managed. Despite a professional organization and a CAQ program for PAs, it's difficult to see anything other than total domination by the PMHNP in the wild. Based on forum searches and other investigations, it appears that PAs are favored for medical clearance/IM needs for psychiatry far more than they are as a psych provider proper due to billing environments and "convention".

Archived