First Assisting

Hi everyone,

I figured I'd post this topic here since there's not much traffic in the Surgery discussion board.

I live in California and do first assist only for different specialties at 1 hospital. I work for a medical group that is employed by the hospital. This is a new thing for the hospital, as they only have RNFA's, but can't bill for an RNFA.

Does anyone else have this type of position? I need to ask how their schedule is structured and who controls their schedule.

Right now the Director of Surgery (nurse) controls my schedule but I have no real stop time (i.e. 7-4), I'm done when my line up is finished. I'm salary. I have been working in general surgery for a private practice group for 5 years before I started doing this. I've talked to the director about allowing me to schedule myself to whatever surgery I feel would reimburse for me, but she's hesitant because she doesn't know what to do with me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Archived