Taking the PANCE for the third time . . . .

Hello,

I just found this forum today and I needed some guidance. I am taking the PANCE for the 3rd time in exactly 6 weeks. I am trying to figure out what I need to do differently this time. The first time I went to the CME resources course and then studied the packets they gave us. I failed by 8 pts. The second time I took the PANCE I JUST did practice questions - everyday, multiple times a day. I did the ones off paeasy.com. I failed by 10 pts. So I am not sure what to do differently this time. Both times when I took it I had a lot of stressors around me. This time I do not because I left a BIG stressor (the ex husband) and I have been seeing a therapist for about a month. So that is helping me to have some positive self talk and to have more confidence in my self. If anyone could give me any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I really am ready to start the next chapter in my life :)

Thank you!!

Rachel

This forum has an advanced search engine on it. Type in pance and alot of threads will pop up. You're going to have to sift through them to find out info, but you should find out what you need. You're taking steps in the positive direction, the ex is gone(?), the therapist is helping, now give yourself a gift by passing the pance and starting your new PA life..you have everything to gain. Good luck!

Maybe you can get a book and read through the contents and THEN do questions? Doing just questions may be enough for some people. But if you're taking it for the third time, maybe you should just read a book first and then do plenty of questions. That's what i would do. How many hours of studying are you doing?

Thank you for the advice. I looked through the forum and I found the other threads. I ordered the Van Rhee book and I am going to do the 30 day plan that is in there. Right now I am studying about 2 hrs in the morning and then 2 hrs at night. I have been reading through a topic (I separated all the different topics into packets from the CME course) and then doing review questions on that topic (from the LANGE book). When I review the material I feel like I know it - it's just come test day I freak out and I over think the questions. That is what the therapist is helping me with. Helping me to be more confident and to relax because I do suffer from really bad test anxiety. I am really trying to stay positive this time, it is just hard. I think having the structure of the Van Rhee book will help. I am also meeting with another PA (she is taking the PANRE) and we have been going through questions. How do you all stay positive??

You need to read a book on exam taking. It isn't that you don't know the material, you have already beat that to death. It sounds as if the thought of taking the exam sends your anxiety levels sky high, so high you have a difficult time interpreting the question that's being asked. In other words--you can't think straight. I know it's hard to stay positive esp after two fails, but you failed by such a small amt. Remember just pass, even by one pt. Once again it sounds like you're on the right track, keep doing what you're doing let us know how everything pans out. There are people on this forum that have taken the pance more than 3 times. Good luck!

TIPS on how I passed PANCE on the 2nd attempt. I went from 300 to 500 score

I really want to thank PA Forum a million times over for giving me advice and support. I want to return the favor and help all worried PA ‘s with the PANCE.

I failed the first time I took the PANCE. It killed me inside. My worst nightmare had come true! I was crying and went into major depression mode. I was truly rethinking of changing careers and saying goodbye to the PA field forever. My first time studying I did the CME Resources in Chicago and the AAPA purple book and some former PA notes. I did not truly understand the concept of each disease but just memorized the facts. I have a photographic memory and I can memorize charts and diagrams really well but that’s not enough to pass PANCE. My biggest setback was the lack of confidence and extreme panic for the test. I was so extremely terrified of failing that I focused on that so much it is what I ended up doing…failing. On top of taking the PANCE too early, in which I studied for about 6 weeks right after I graduated while still working part time, planning my wedding, and other distractions. I didn’t fully commit the time and work like I should had.

Tips for success:

• Take the test after 2-3 months of studying at least 4-6hrs. Don’t do more than 8 hours.
    I liked what Iain1028 said. I made a plan on how to cover all the 13 topics which are on the blue print. I read each system from both books Usmle step 2 and Van Rhee on one day, took the test on those and then read them the next day and took the test again. It did really help. I read a lot and also practiced lot of questions.

• Get your hands on Datachem, packrats (I have some just email me), I liked the Appleton &Lange Yellow itouch application, the Green Van Rhee book, AAPA pretest, Exam masters (this is KEY) and USMLE STEP 2.

• Take your first month and study according to NCCPA Blue print and get through the USMLE STEP 2 review book. Review what you just learned before moving on. Make sure that you can write on a blank sheet of paper exam signs and sym, key lab values and tx for each disease. It’s a lot of work but it will help you at the end.

• After studying a organ system from Van Rhee or USMLE step 2 do a practice test from Appleton and Lange/DataChem/Exam masters that is relevant to what you’ve just study. Go over your wrong answers and figure out why you got it wrong. Also, look at the PA forum for PANCE BUZZWORDs/WORD ASSOC. These were helpful during the test, it triggered words that were precise to the disease.

• The second month you should do questions and then do more questions. Do the practice tests on Datachem and Appleton and Lange, and especially Exam masters! (Some questions were much harder than PANCE Qs but its critical thinking and it will help you understand concepts. Exam masters is really hard I only scored 65%-75% but keep using this because it will prepare you for PANCE. If I had exam masters the first time then I would have passed. Exam masters is all about critical thinking which is key to passing PANCE.

Here are my scores:

AAPA book pretest: 75.% pance exam had questions from the pretest

AAPA book posttest: 79%

Datachem: Scored between 80% and 85% on each subject area (average of the entire CD was about 82%)

Lange Q&A: Scored between 70% and 75% in each subject area.

Exam master: Did 85% of the questions: Scored between 59% and 75% on each subject area (average of what I did was 65%)

NCCPA self-assessment: Scored “high” proficiency in all areas except Cardio and GI going a into into the “borderline” proficiency block 2 weeks before the PANCE. So I concentrated on those 2 subjects.

Packrats-I was scoring above 80% when I felt confident in taking the PANCE exam.

• You will get to the point when you are close to your test date and you will panic that you have not learned enough or you are running out of time. Relax and assess your strengths and weakness. Focus on Cardio, GI, MUSK, Pulmo and HEENT and Repro. You have 24hrs to postpone your test if you feel you are not ready. Although do not keep rescheduling your exam. Really commit to a date.

• If you are still scoring at or below 60% on your practice tests you need to do more reviewing. If you are at least a 75% in Datachem and AAPA pre and post exam you might do okay on PANCE. I was scoring 75% AAPA post test and 85% Datachem, 7 days before I took PANCE.

• The most important advice I can give you is to have confidence in yourself! Remain calm so you can think clearly without second guessing yourself. Don’t overanalyze! You came this far and you will achieve your goals. Don’t give up, stay positive before and after, and especially during! Pray if you have to (this is what got me through). Believe in yourself. You made in through PA school and its just one more day of hard work and focus! Don’t let anything stand in your way not even this exam, you can do it. Good Luck!

I took my exam on Monday and didn’t sleep because I didnt feel confident! Finally on Thursday at 5:30am I found out I passed! It’s the best feeling in the world! I really feel like a ton of bricks has been lifted off my shoulders. I feel like the gray cloud of worry and doom is no longer looming over the top of my head.

Guest cleveland pa

Do you still have all your information from the CME resources course your took? I have a DVD from the EMROY Review courses that has all the lectures from their review course and powerpoints that come along with it on the DVD. If you still have your material would you be willing to trade?

I do still have the entire packet from the CME resources. I feel like it is a good studying tool but it is def NOT enough. You really do HAVE to do review questions. You can study facts all day long, but if you never practice how to apply the facts, I don't think one can pass the test. The first time I took the PANCE I just studied facts: failed by 8 pts. The second time I took it I JUST did sample questions: failed by 10 pts. THIS time I am doing both so I feel like this is what I need in order to pass. I got the Van Rhee book, DataChem, and the purple book and I am studying by those this time. I take the exam in a little over 4 weeks now. I am ready to get this test behind me!!!!

I also took the CME Resources class and am only using their packet to study, is this a mistake??

I did have the Van Rhee book, but primarily only took the CME course 2 weeks before taking the PANCE and studied their material and passed by a wide margin. If you did well in school and do not have test anxiety I would say that the CME class is really all you need.

• 9 months later...

Archived