Jump to content

Home Office deduction?

Recommended Posts

CAVEAT:  I am not a tax accountant.


Probably not ... IF you are an employee (i.e., you get a W-2 at the end of the year).  Home office expenses would be itemized on your Schedule A and would have to exceed 2% of your AGI.  See IRS Publication 529.  


If you a contracted employee (i.e., you receive a 1099 at the end of the year), then you are self-employed and yes, certain home office expenses could be included on your Schedule C (subject to some rules about exclusive use, etc.) and they offset your income.  See IRS Publication 587.  


You should consult your tax accountant.  There used to be some considerations to factor in if you are actually trying to claim expense or depreciation for anything the IRS considers assets (a portion of your physical property, or a computer) as it would alter your basis in the property; I don't know if that is still the case.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More