University of Detroit Mercy Class of 2014!

Thanks for the congrats. I really, REALLY need this. I went to a big 10 for undergrad-speech and hearing science major. My gpa was not as high as yours-3.5. For grad school I went to Washington university in st. Louis and had a 3.9 in audiology . I did a fellowship at Henry ford . For the past 5 years I've been managing a primary care practice. Also, I run a program for seniors who migrate to the us and are unaware of the facilities and free services available to them in their communities. I think you have wonderful stats, ljmanders. I'm sure you'll get a call. My call didn't come til 5:40 yesterday evening! Plus somewhere on this forum, I read about a student who had been a teacher for 30 years and applied as a second career and got accepted.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seemeen--Thank you for sharing information. Did you apply for 2 or 3 year program? I applied for 3 year program as I have a 5 year old son and want to continue to work part-time. I am hoping that they are calling 2 year applicants first but I still have hope until I receive notice otherwise that I might get a call. Again, thank you for sharing.

Seemeen--Thank you for sharing information. Did you apply for 2 or 3 year program? I applied for 3 year program as I have a 5 year old son and want to continue to work part-time. I am hoping that they are calling 2 year applicants first but I still have hope until I receive notice otherwise that I might get a call. Again, thank you for sharing.

Congrats to both lheureu2 and willheam and good luck. Would either of you please share any application information, HCE background, GPA, etc., I also applied for 3 year and I appreciated the information that seemeen shared as I feel that I am on track with GPA but I am concerned that my clinical substance abuse background and education may not be enough in the realm of medical. Thanks.

ljmanders - I applied for the 2 year program and had all my prereqs completed before I applied. I recently graduated from Michigan State University with a bachelors in Human Biology. My overall GPA was a 3.78 and my science a 3.85. I'm from the Detroit area so I've been lucky enough to have had a lot of exposure in the hospitals downtown, being a student intern working with PAs during the summers since i've graduated high school and throughout college, so i've managed to receive a decent amount of direct patient care hours. I also worked on a research project headed out of a hospital in Detroit and was a research associate for Michigan State as well. In addition, i've volunteered as a caregiver for the terminally ill for about a year and a half and participated in additional volunteer events, such as, Special Olympics and American Red Cross blood drives. Hope that helps and hopefully you'll be hearing some good news soon! Best of luck!

lheureu2--Thank you for your response, I appreciate you sharing your information. I have all prereqs completed as well, 3.8 GPA in prereqs, but applied for three year program. This would be second career for me as I have worked in education for 14 years and substance abuse for 6 years, and maybe this does not meet interview committee's criteria. I'll keep the hope for a few more days and request application review summary upon rejection letter. Good luck to you!

I have worked as a respiratory therapist for 11 years now. My overall GPA is a 3.85. I had done some volunteer work in the past but not as of late with full-time work, part-time school, & two small children. Perhaps my HCE is helpful as my GPA & GRE scores are about what everyone else is reporting. I am currently finishing the adv. Physio course at U of D & plan on taking medical ethics in the spring so I don't have all of my courses completed.

I have worked as a respiratory therapist for 11 years now. My overall GPA is a 3.85. I had done some volunteer work in the past but not as of late with full-time work, part-time school, & two small children. Perhaps my HCE is helpful as my GPA & GRE scores are about what everyone else is reporting. I am currently finishing the adv. Physio course at U of D & plan on taking medical ethics in the spring so I don't have all of my courses completed.

Archived