The road to a PA

I have just graduated High School at 17 and would like to become a PA in the future through the Air Force. I have good ASVAB scores and a clean record, I am sure I could make it into the Air Force without a problem. I have heard of many paths to becoming a PA, I know that you can get it through joining as enlisted but have heard that going to college first and joining as an officer is a better route. I am sure I could make it either way but I would like to go ahead and start working on my career now while I still have my motivation and drive to go after these goals. Should I go into service now as an E-2 or wait and attend college first to go in as an officer? Please ask questions to help give me the best insight into this issue, thank you.

post-133289-0-80230500-1469420319_thumb.jpg

I have just graduated High School at 17 and would like to become a PA in the future through the Air Force. I have good ASVAB scores and a clean record, I am sure I could make it into the Air Force without a problem. I have heard of many paths to becoming a PA, I know that you can get it through joining as enlisted but have heard that going to college first and joining as an officer is a better route. I am sure I could make it either way but I would like to go ahead and start working on my career now while I still have my motivation and drive to go after these goals. Should I go into service now as an E-2 or wait and attend college first to go in as an officer? Please ask questions to help give me the best insight into this issue, thank you.

attachicon.gifjj.jpg

The program you're talking about (through the Air Force) is called IPAP. It's VERY competitive and even more political. I've seen enlisted folks make it in as early as 4-6 years in service, but most spend 8-12 years in before attending the program.

Basically, I wouldn't join for the sole purpose of attending IPAP because that is largely out of your control.

Also, you don't know whether or not you will like being in the military. I joined with the intention of doing 20. I was out in 4.

I think a better option would be to go to college, enlist in the national guard, and then try to go to IPAP through that route. I don't really know the details of this, but I've heard stories of people doing it. It's worth looking into at least.

Another option is what I did: go to college as a civilian. Then, get accepted into PA school and do the HPSP to get into the Air Force. Get your school paid for, then decide if you want to make it a career.

Archived